Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

2.5 meg lost in last couple of weeks?????

This is a discussion on 2.5 meg lost in last couple of weeks????? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi All, I'm on the connect package, have been since Sept 06 (Even though my exchange was unbundled a day ...

GSK69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Earlsdon, Coventry
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

2.5 meg lost in last couple of weeks?????

Hi All,

I'm on the connect package, have been since Sept 06 (Even though my exchange was unbundled a day after I was connected!)

Initially, speeds were pretty shocking, up and down all the time, after about a month, the connection seemed to stabalise and I got what I expected from my stats - a constant 6.7meg - any time of the day.

For some weird reason, it dropped a couple of weeks ago and although the sync speed is the same, 8128/448 kbps, along with line stats being as they alway have been, the download speed is now a constant 4.1meg???

Nout has changed with my set-up at home (Wiring, router settings etc) I've tried various download sites, maxed out the connection with a large file, all with the same 4.1meg result.

Really annoying, to have lost 2.5meg.... do you think it's down to traffic shaping and sheer volume of users now on my exchange?

Stats:

System Up Time 00:27:44
      Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 96671 183939 0 3192 164619 00:27:24
      LAN 10M/100M 142 0 0 25 0 00:27:42
      WLAN 11M/54M/108M 184090 97346 0 165320 4034 00:27:32

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 8128 kbps 448 kbps
      Line Attenuation 25.0 db 15.5 db
      Noise Margin 11.3 db 21.0 db

Anyone else having the same problem???

Cheers.

2. Advertisement
      Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Could be down to an overloaded exchange though the symptoms for that would usually be slow speeds at busy times and higher speeds when quiet - not constant through the day.

Assuming you are connected by wire (wireless will often give a restricted speed), the first thing to do would be to make sure your TCP/IP settings are correct. See this post.

mikey4020 is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Halfway/WSHAL
      Broadband ISP: O2 Premium (4th Aug)
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks
      I'm on the Mid Package and when I was first connected my speed was great, around 7Mb. That was in September and now a couple of months down the line my speed is never really any greater than 5Mb. I tried various things but put it down to the fact there was simply more customers connected now at my exchange.