Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

At my wits end . . .

This is a discussion on At my wits end . . . within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I'll try and keep this as short as I can. I signed up for Sky BB Max early Sept. Was ...

iand68 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Gravesend
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

At my wits end . . .

I'll try and keep this as short as I can.

I signed up for Sky BB Max early Sept. Was with Pipex before on 1mb plan with no problems. Migration took 10 days, but thats another story.

Engineer came end of Sept and installed the router etc but said there was no connection yet. I phoned the helpline and was told to wait 24 hours. I waited and got connected the next day.

Since this day, I lose connection on a every day. It's random and can go from disconnecting once a day to disconnecting 7/8 times an hour.

I've been calling the Sky helpline every other week to try and solve this problem and have been getting different answers. Originally, after a few weeks of promised call backs, they told me that the line couldn't handle the speed so they would need to cap it, which would take a week to do.

I was still getting the same problem a couple of weeks later, so I called them again. This time I was told that my line had not been fully activated, that they work on 2 systems and that one system had completed but not the other. They would need to run a "data fix" which would take 7-10 days and after this I would receive a letter with an activation date.

This time passed and still the connection didn't improve nor did the letter arrive. I called again, and was told that both systems were saying complete. I mentioned about the data fix and was told that it had not been fully completed, so they would need to start it again!

I am now waiting for the 2nd data fix to complete before I call them again, next week.

It has been almost 4 months and yet they are no closer to solving my problem.

I have had about as much as I can take from them and am contemplating canceling the Sky BB to get a reliable connection with someone else.

Can anyone advise me as to what can be the problem? Is there anything I can do or is it all down to sky?

I'll post the stats anyway :-

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 3712 kbps 768 kbps
      Line Attenuation 53.0 db 31.5 db
      Noise Margin 5.6 db 13.0 db

I have been monitoring the noise margin, and it has gradually dropped in the last 3 hours from 7.6 to 5.3
      Last edited by iand68; 03-01-07 at 06:12 PM.

2. Advertisement
      Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Welcome to the forum

Well you've probably already diagnosed the problem yourself - your noise margin is dropping to a level where disconnections occur.

It's easy to "lock" your router to a higher noise margin and you'll find two methods at the bottom of this post.

You may also wish to make some changes to minimise this happening (or reducing it) in the first place. See the cabling and faceplate help forum for more info.
      Last edited by Saturday; 03-01-07 at 06:18 PM.

iand68 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Gravesend
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Many thanks for the quick reply and advice. I've used mognuts utlility and set the target noise margin at 8.

My stats now show as :-

Connection Speed 3232 kbps 768 kbps
      Line Attenuation 53.0 db 31.5 db
      Noise Margin 9.9 db 13.0 db

So there is a little loss of speed, but it's not noticeable.

I just want a reliable connection, and if this works I'll be a happy bunny!!

Thanks once again!!

Disillusioned is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SSFLT Filton Bristol
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      I set mine to 10db today in the hope of sustaining a connection while I wait for my new faceplate and cabling. If that doesn't sort it out, a new router is on the shopping list!!

~Computing today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning~