Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

A few questions

This is a discussion on A few questions within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi I am having to move out of my flat, and with it cancelling my Nildram broadband account. I have ...

sentinal chicken is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

A few questions

Hi

I am having to move out of my flat, and with it cancelling my Nildram broadband account. I have sky as I am a keen football fan, so I thought I would investigate having broadband through sky in my new place.

Currently NIldram is costing me 25 quid a month, but I am more than happy with the service - I get a good speed, and its only been down for about 5 minutes total in the four years I have had it. So this would purely be a monetary saving.

I have a few questions then - I know that sky provide you with a decent router, as I already have that router myself. What I am concerned about is whether they block any ports and if so which ones? I run a webserver at home that I use for client work so sometimes I need to let them have access to it on port 80. I also use p2p software (bit torrent, gnutella based services as well as emule) - do these work?

I also have about 6 different email accounts for various websites that I run and at the moment I send all mail through nildrams smtp server. I have read on here that sky don't have an smtp server - am I going to have problems in this area? I really don't want to set up an smtp server of my own.

Lastly, as I mentioned, I already have the exact same router as sky are providing. I don't mind switching to theirs as long as I can enable WPA, alter internal IP addresses (I favour 10.x.x.x and that's how my network is set up) as well as map specific IP addresses to specific internal MAC numbers (i.e. my xbox is on 10.0.0.X) - is this possible? Also can I use my own router as a range extender for the wireless network?

Thanks in advance

2. Advertisement
      NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries
      i can answer one of them

port 80 is blocked afaik i would check first to confirm

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

Thanks
      Blog Entries
      Lastly, as I mentioned, I already have the exact same router as sky are providing. I don't mind switching to theirs as long as I can enable WPA, alter internal IP addresses (I favour 10.x.x.x and that's how my network is set up) as well as map specific IP addresses to specific internal MAC numbers (i.e. my xbox is on 10.0.0.X) - is this possible?
      i cant see this been a problem

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Thanks
      Blog Entries
      I also have about 6 different email accounts for various websites that I run and at the moment I send all mail through nildrams smtp server. I have read on here that sky don't have an smtp server
      you can use smtp

details here

sentinal chicken is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for this.

I still a bit nervous, but I am also still very interested.

The SMTP stuff - I am no email expert but I assume that because there is an SMTP server, that it will accept emails sent that aren't from sky.com accounts?