Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Variable Performance

This is a discussion on Variable Performance within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Right, face plate is off and we are running! Downstream speed is now 2048 kbps, and wait for it........ downstream ...

hugo15 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ingleby Barwick
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Right, face plate is off and we are running!

Downstream speed is now 2048 kbps, and wait for it........ downstream noise margin seems to have settled around the 10.5 to 13.5 range (it still seems to be flitting - the poll interval is set at 10 secs - is this too short?)

What are my options given that I am technically incompetent in this sort of thing (but you might have worked that out for yourself!)

Sorry also meant to ask if there is any reason why I can't leave it plugged in with the face plate hanging off (though something tells me this is probably illegal)?
      Last edited by hugo15; 02-01-07 at 09:48 PM. Reason: Missed a bit

2. Advertisement
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Just put the faceplate back on and noise margin is now in the 8 to 9 db range compared to the 3 to 7 I had earlier.

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      It shouldn't move more than 0.2db in a 10 second poll.

You seem to have a wiring problem and the fact that removing and putting back the faceplate seemed to have improved things suggests it might be the socket itself.

There's no problem or illegality in running with the faceplate off. The downside is it is untidy and any extensions you have wired into the socket won't work.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I have just sat and watched the stats and they have ranged from 7.5 db to 11.1 db in 60 seconds.

Doesn't sound like something I can moan at Sky about. Will BT do anything?

Must say I am really grateful for your assistance with this. There should be some sort of site where you can sign up and award beer chits to people who help you on forums. If there was, there would be a chit or two coming your way! Cheers.

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      If you are seeing changes like that in 60 seconds when connected to your test socket then there's little you personally can do.

It is almost certainly a line problem somewhere between (and including) the wiring in your socket and the exchange. If it is at the exchange then it is Sky's problem. If it is somewhere en route then it is BT's.

BT will work hard to correct a voice fault. Are you sure you can't hear an occasional hiss or crackle on the line? (Try jiggling your phone plug in the socket a couple of times). If you can then BT will sort this for free. Otherwise you can call them out under risk of a charge and if they find no fault (or that it is under your ownership, not theirs), they will bill you.

A virtual beer is fine with me. Your thanks is much appreciated.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Saturday

Something has just clicked. My Line attenuation is 63.5 db and if I divide by the 13.8 figure quoted in the background reading you pointed me too then this says I am 4.6 kms from the exchange. However when I look at the distance from exchange calculator on dslzoneuk it says I am only 2.51 kms from the exchange! I have also checked this with some digital mapping software I have which confirmed 2.5 kms as the right answer.

Something isn't adding up here. Any pointers where I can go from here. Is it a call to tech support at Sky?

Thanks

Stephen

MrStabby is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by hugo15 View Post
      Saturday

Something has just clicked. My Line attenuation is 63.5 db and if I divide by the 13.8 figure quoted in the background reading you pointed me too then this says I am 4.6 kms from the exchange. However when I look at the distance from exchange calculator on dslzoneuk it says I am only 2.51 kms from the exchange! I have also checked this with some digital mapping software I have which confirmed 2.5 kms as the right answer.
      There's a difference between line length and the distance between you and the exchange. Your telephone line will almost never take a direct path from the exchange to your house.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12