Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Connection issues caused by Radio signal filters

This is a discussion on Connection issues caused by Radio signal filters within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Thought that my experience with connection issues may be useful to others who are currently tearing their hair out over ...

MPH is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: CMRUB
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Sky TV:

Connection issues caused by Radio signal filters

Thought that my experience with connection issues may be useful to others who are currently tearing their hair out over connection problems.

Bit of background first, my line was unbundled on 19th September but my router was unable to sync. After numerous calls to tiers 1,2 & 3, two visits to my Exchange and a TPS I was advise to try and get a BT Engineer to check my line, think it's called a BT HealthCheck, to see if my line went over fibre or get my master socket replaced. At this stage I wasn't too happy and BT weren't terribly interested as my phone was working, so I decided to take a look at my master socket.

At the time I didn't think much of it but the pairs coming from the street were connected to a small rectangular box below my master socket (which I now know to be a mark II radio signal filter). Cabling then went into my master socket. After tightening the connection for the pairs from the street, I was able to sync with the Exchange for the first time . However, tier 3 had previously capped my line down to 128Kbps. Now I could check the stats reported from the router (attn was 63.5db and snr was 9db).

After talking to tier 3 they tried increasing the speed on my line but after a number of failed attempts it was left capped at 1Mb, but the router would only sync at 192Kbps at best . I decided at this stage to bite the bullet and get BT to replace and move my master socket (I was thinking of relocating since ordering BB anyway).

The other day this work was carried out by a friendly BT engineer. He was a bit puzzled that I had a radio frequency filter fitted, when my line is underground and there are no transmitters in the local vicinity. So he said that he could remove it if I wanted. I'm no expert but it doesn't take a genius to workout that the fact I could only connect at 192Kbps may be down to this filter, so I got him to remove it. After he left the router sync'd at 1Mbps. Attn was now 37db and snr was about 20db! Since then I contacted sky (via the customer service e-mail address which appears to be the best way to get a response) to get the cap removed and I'm now sync'd at 8Mb .

I've found the info on this site to be invaluable while I've been tring to get to the bottom this problem, so I wanted to pass on my experience in the off chance it may help someone else out. If you're struggling to get somewhere like I was check to see if your line has such a filter connected (the box is about the size of a match box). I'm led to believe by the BT Engineer that there is now a mark III version of the filter which is compatible with BB but my line doesn't need it. It appears that it was fitted when the house was built by a contractor and for some reason they decided the line needed it.

2. Advertisement
      dgilbert2 is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: Loughborough
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic

Thumbs up

Glad to hear that your persistance paid off!

I have not heard of these radio filters before, you live and learn

Maybe at one time one of your neighbours was into amature radio. We lived next to one once, I swear you could pick up his signals on a nail, they were that strong
      A simple crude speed test:-

Download Test.