Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

How does it work?

This is a discussion on How does it work? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Sorry if this is the most simplistic of questions. I have finally had my router/modem delivered and now ready to ...

nomy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01565
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

How does it work?

Sorry if this is the most simplistic of questions.

I have finally had my router/modem delivered and now ready to swap over to my Sky Connect package. Now the problem I have is that I am still connected to my old ISP. So my basic question is about how broadband connections work. My understanding was that there is a physical switch made by BT which switches my connection over to Sky from my old ISP (Orange), unlike in the old dial up days where you could create an account with anyone just by entering their number.

So am I right in that assumption? That you can only be connected to one broadband ISP at a time?

If that is the case, I am not sure what to do next so as to minimise my downtime. I have already been notified by SKY that I have been activated, despite my continuing connection to my old ISP. My speed has gone up from 512 to around 3mb as well, so somethings working!

Any help explaining how this most basic procedure happens would be very useful.

2. Advertisement
      Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      You can only have one ADSL service on a line.

If Sky say you are connected and you note that your line connection speed has changed then certainly something has happened

Which router are you using to connect with - your old ISPs or Sky's?

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I haven't changed anything at all yet, so I am just using my old modem. It's all a bit strange. My line speed increase happened way back on the 15th. I received a call off Sky (which they later denied could have happened) to tell me that my activation date would be the 15th. i was panic stricken because at that time I hadn't received my router. The 15th came and went, but the only thing that happened was my speed increase to my old ISP!

I have since received a letter telling me my activation would be on the 20th, and then a voice mail thingy on the 22nd to tell me I am now activated with Sky.

As I say, I now finally have all my equipment, but if I install it, would I be able to connect to Sky if I am still able to connect to my old ISP?

Thanks..
      Last edited by nomy; 28-12-06 at 05:08 PM.

Exchange:
      Thanks
      Could be that BT have made the changes to move you over to Connect (which is a rebadged BT service) but your old ISP still accepts the login details - i.e the changeover isn't complete yet?

There's no installing necessary for the Sky service. All you have to do is plug the router into the phone socket and connect your PC to the router. All passwords etc are already in the router. The software that comes with it just messes around with your browser to give you a Sky branded one plus set your homepage to Sky. It also has McAfee on it which personally I'd avoid like the plague.

I doubt it would hurt to plug the Sky router in and try it?

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for your help Saturday. I'm tied up for the rest of the night, but I'll give it a go as you suggest tomorrow.

I suppose it's all a little new to me really. With the old system of USB modem only, it's similar to the old dial-up system. Where you still get a username and login screen before you connect. Obviously with the Router/Modem system, the connection is automatic then (?). What happens when you drop a connexion then, does the router/modem reconnect automatically?

As for the extra bloatware, it's all exactly that, and I will avoid

Exchange:
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by nomy View Post
      What happens when you drop a connexion then, does the router/modem reconnect automatically?
      It should - it doesn't.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Following on from yesterday and your suggestions Saturday, I connected the Router/Modem and despite a load of silly teething problems, I am now connected to Sky at anything between 3.5 and 4.5MB. So I am well happy with that. I've also got all my email accounts up and running too, so I'm finally away...

It seems that I have still got an active line with my old ISP because they need 28 days notice. BT notified them on the 20th, so I will still have an account with them until mid Jan.

Just one thing though, when you drop a connection (I can see this being my next problem, it's dropped twice today already), what is the best way to restart the router? I have been pressing the hidden reset button so far.

Thanks for all your help

Exchange:
      Thanks
      No not the reset button.

You can pull the power plug, pull the RJ11 or use the reboot option in the router admin pages to provoke a resync with the exchange. The latter is "kinder" to the router.

To "lock" your router to a higher noise margin, which will probably stop the disconnects, have a look at this post and scroll down to the section near the bottom for info on how to do this.