Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Wireless Problems With Belkin

This is a discussion on Wireless Problems With Belkin within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Having run broadband with Pipex and later Plusnet through a Belkin F5D8230 router and Belkin F5D8010 wireless card for several ...

mikewj is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Wireless Problems With Belkin

Having run broadband with Pipex and later Plusnet through a Belkin F5D8230 router and Belkin F5D8010 wireless card for several years without problem, I am now unable to use either with Sky Broadband.

The router problem is fairly immaterial as it doesn't support PPPOA and cant therefore connect to Sky. However, having spent about 6hrs yesterday evening and this morning trying to get the wireless card on my laptop to connect to the Sky router I'm in need of some help.

Here is a rundown of my current situation:

O/S = Win XP Home
      Wireless card = Belkin F5D8010
      Router = Standard Sky Netgear Router

The laptop can see both my old Belkin router and the new Sky Netgear router. It will happily connect to the Belkin every time, but can't seem to do much with the Sky one, either sitting around "acquiring network address" or connecting with "limited or no connectivity".

When I hardwire the laptop to the router via the ethernet port, it works perfectly (hence my ability to post here) but the wireless doesn't want to know.

I've assigned static IP addresses, changed channels, changed security and other settings on both router and card but to no avail.

I'm not new to networking, but my knowledge is now exhausted. I've searched on this and other forums and found similar problems with numerous solutions, none of which seem to work for me, so can anyone offer anything new ?

I'm beginning to wonder whether there's a compatibility issue with the hardware !

2. Advertisement
      adumr is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      I had the same problem, eventually I had to give up and dig out a netgear usb dongle. Crazy thing is before sky I actually used what appears to be the same netgear router on bt broadband quite happily

Big_Cos is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01928
      Broadband ISP: Connect 17 to 5
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      I had the same problem with the Belkin ( as did my dad, thats why I ended up with it ) after nearly 2 weeks of pulling my hair out wondering why i still could not connect , I just went to Argos and bought the netgear card from Argos ( I had nothing to loose, if it didnt work I could take it back)

I had it up and running within about 10 minutes .It comes with a really good install disk and gets you going nearly straight away it was the best 30.00 I spent and felt really satisfied when it was sorted .

Alan b is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: 2 x Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      When I was setting up my Brother wireless connection with AOL we couldn't get his broadband to work until we brought a netgear router and got rid of the Belkin one.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for the info........I think I can detect a pattern forming.

So I have a problem with the hardware, which was what I was starting to surmise. Trouble is, I have the Belkin wireless card in my laptop and Belkin wireless bridges on my Xbox 360 and old style Xbox, all of which are compatible with each other and the old non-PPPOA Belkin router.

I might have a look at replacing the router with a more up-to-date Belkin modem/router. I know that the G+ MIMO works with Sky Broadband and (in theory) the other Belkin stuff I've got.

Ho hum, so much for saving money by switching to Sky !!!

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

OK, I'm stupid.

I decided to try everything again last night, resetting the router and starting from scratch. It all works properly now and the download speed is twice that of my old ISP.

In an attempt to save time, I was originally copying the encryption key from a notepad document and it was including a leading space, which was being generated as part of the key.

This was is what was stopping me from connecting and just goes to show that sometimes you think that you're cleverer than you are !