Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How can i tell if im connected to adsl2+

This is a discussion on How can i tell if im connected to adsl2+ within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi. I had sky broadband max activated last thursday after being on bt yahoo option 4 fixed at 1mb. Im ...

timd2905 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Downend Bristol
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

How can i tell if im connected to adsl2+

Hi. I had sky broadband max activated last thursday after being on bt yahoo option 4 fixed at 1mb. Im very happy with sky ,everything was done on time and is running fine.
      But i am confused by my speed difference if i use my old linksys wag 54 router theres a big difference. With my sky router plugged in i get around 2.8 mb down 645 up with 57db att 7 noise. But if i use my old linksy router i get 4mb down 645 up 51db att 8-9 noise. I have tried this since the install and always get similar results. i know my linksy is not adsl2+ so dont understand why its quicker. As anyone got any ideals. It does not bother me as im happy with either speed , but just interested why this is. could it be im not getting adsl2+. Thanks Tim

2. Advertisement
      NoXioUs is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Bolton LOC
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Because ur line is so far away froim the exchange sky will have put u on adsl1 to get u the highest speeds possible.
      The linksys router seems to pick up less noise or reduce noise on your line.
      This will give u a high dl rate as there is less noise on your line.
      I have 52db and get about 5mb with the sky router.

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by NoXioUs View Post
      Because ur line is so far away froim the exchange sky will have put u on adsl1 to get u the highest speeds possible.
      That may be true but unless affected users have been in contact with T3, it would suggest a degree of proactivity from Sky which hasn't really been evident before.

I think it is quite possible that users who are finding themselves not on the expected ADSL "flavour" are actually seeing the effect of their multimode capable router having negotiated a different ADSL mode with the exchange due to adverse line characteristics.

gillious is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Sittingbourne
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Not so sure about this, you can force the sky router into a mode, i.e adsl2+ but for some it simply will not sync up unless you pick G.DMT. This would mean it's limited to this mode at the exchange end for whatever reason.
      Last edited by Saturday; 20-12-06 at 01:22 PM. Reason: Removed quote of preceeding post

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Undoubtedly some people have been moved by Sky but my impression is that this is as a consequence of them having had connection problems.

For Sky to manually undertake a line test for every new connection would be a huge additional overhead. They may of course have implemented some change at their exchange equipment to do this automatically as an outcome of the router negotiation.

At the moment no-one knows, except one must assume, a small number of people at Sky/Easynet.

timd2905 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Downend Bristol
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Saturday;

For Sky to [I
      manually[/I] undertake a line test for every new connection would be a huge additional overhead. They may of course have implemented some change at their exchange equipment to do this automatically as an outcome of the router negotiation.
      This is interesting has when i 1st connected my sky router it synced at 4177 but i accidently pulled the power lead out router when moving it. doh.
      and i have not managed to get it to sync above 2995 since . except on my linksy router. I know im 2.30 k straight line 4.45 k real line length ,from when i had isdn in the ninetys as there used to be a number you could call and get the length. shame its gone.. So i am a long way from the exchange.
      Last edited by NewsreadeR; 20-12-06 at 02:28 PM. Reason: fixed quote tags

moblies is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Sounds familiar,

I was connected on the 5th Dec and teh speed gradually increased over 3-4 days upto 2.5mb, Then as you I restarted the router and have been getting 1792k / 768k ever since.

I queried with Tech support and was told I was on ADSL2 Option 2 Maximum of 4mb ???

This seems poor as my last supplier I was getting 1mb without ADSL2+

My Stats are Downstream Attn 61db & 6.1db Noise and Upstream attn 31db & 9db noise

Be interested how to force the Router into ADSL2+

MrStabby is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by moblies View Post
      Be interested how to force the Router into ADSL2+
      You wouldn't want to. If you have a poor quality/long line, you're going to get a better sync rate and noise margin down if you use g-dmt.
      I'd only use ADSL2Plus if I wanted to get (and was likely to get) > 8Mb.

darrin is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by MrStabby View Post
      You wouldn't want to. If you have a poor quality/long line, you're going to get a better sync rate and noise margin down if you use g-dmt.
      I'd only use ADSL2Plus if I wanted to get (and was likely to get) > 8Mb.
      I'm not sure that's true. Sky changed my connection from ADSL2+ to G.DMT (without informing me of course) and my connection has gone from a stable-enough 5600/768 to 1024/256.

FGZ
      FGZ is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: cannock
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      By my own admission I'm a computer Numpty......so how can you tell if your on ADSL 2.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast