Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Connection suddenly gone abysmal!

This is a discussion on Connection suddenly gone abysmal! within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Argh! Constant link dropping to both multiple game servers and just browsing the web - i've had to reboot the ...

nsviper is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Cumbernauld (WSCUM)
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router: Need to check
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Connection suddenly gone abysmal!

Argh!

Constant link dropping to both multiple game servers and just browsing the web - i've had to reboot the router over 20 times this weekend - each time it comes up at about 1000 kbps connection with a noise margin of between 6 and 10 db, but within a couple of minutes its dropping as far as 2db!

Tonight i graphed the noise margin on router - this is with the line synched at 512K, whereas i usually get synced at between 1000 and 1200. When synced at approx 1000k, the noise margin is fairly static at about 6-6.5db

If i reboot the router and get synched at anything over 800k, the noise margin is approx 7db, but within 30-60 seconds its dropped as far as 2!

The graph shows how bad my connection has been since Saturday afternoon, Nothing kit wise has changed at my end, no filters have been moved/changed, the router is not running hot, there is no "bad weather" to affect the signal (even although the phone line is totally underground) - i have tried everything i can think of, but nothing makes any difference.
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Connection suddenly gone abysmal!-noisemargin.jpg  
      I don't care if the glass is half full or half empty, i just want to know who's been drinking my pint!!!

Gallery...http://andy-stewart.deviantart.com/gallery

2. Advertisement
      Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      A shift of 3-4db in noise margin is fairly normal - what's not normal is for it to cycle as rapidly as yours is. Stating the obvious, there's something happening on your line.

You say nothing has changed your side of the connection but filters do fail and wiring connections can deteriorate. Have you tried the test socket behind the faceplate of your master socket (assuming you have an NTE5)? If you get the same results then that pretty much rules out a problem your side of the master socket.

That then points to a line issue. Can you detect any noise when making a voice call? If you can then you need to call in BT. With the onset of winter many underground conduits will be flooded. The lines are designed to cope with this but sometimes water can make ingress.

Lastly, you're on Connect. This means you have to contend with all sorts of issues arising from the rate adaption methodology this uses so any improvements you make to eliminate noise probably won't be reflected in an immediate improvement to your connection speed/stability.

Thanks

You are NOT gonna believe what it was - XMAS lights on a house 4 doors up!!

He has a ton of lights outside his house, on the walls, on the ground, round the garden etc - it was knocking out everyone's ADSL on the street!!!

Switch the lights off, and hey presto - flatline at 6.5 db on the noise graph - result!

So be warned, check the xmas lights next time
      I don't care if the glass is half full or half empty, i just want to know who's been drinking my pint!!!

boab2791 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Lennoxtown (WSLEX)
      Broadband ISP: Talk Talk
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks
      I assume you asked the person concerned to cease with the lights or are you all putting up with a ropey connection at night!

Thanks

After a bit of playing about, it seemed to be a rope of lights he had strung round his grass at front, he's moved it onto his fence round his back garden and alls well, so he can have his lights on and all us geeks can have our adsl

bardo is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by nsviper View Post
      After a bit of playing about, it seemed to be a rope of lights he had strung round his grass at front, he's moved it onto his fence round his back garden and alls well, so he can have his lights on and all us geeks can have our adsl
      Wow amazing - my router has been dropping noise margin and disconnecting from 4p.m onwards since a week before Christmas whereas it was rock solid before. I'd wondered whether it could have had anything to do with Christmas lights but this confirms it now.