Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Serious Line Noise/Intermission When Connecting

This is a discussion on Serious Line Noise/Intermission When Connecting within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Had to start a new post as no-one else seems to be getting this problem. Connected to Sky BB two ...

pavsid is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Nottingham Longbow
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Unhappy Serious Line Noise/Intermission When Connecting

Had to start a new post as no-one else seems to be getting this problem.

Connected to Sky BB two and a half weeks ago and the first 4/5 days were ace. I had a good sync rate of approx 9000kbps and up to 12500kbps using the snr tweak. After then, i'd come home from work and the connection would have dropped to 400-600kbps! If i rebooted the router it would sync at 1000-3000kbps.

I noticed that there was serious noise/hissing on the phone line - attenuation also rose to 45-47 from the usual 43. If i unplugged the router, the noise would disappear. Whilst still listening on the phone, if i plugged the router back in, as soon as it tried to connect the noise would come back and thus sync rate would be hampered by the high attenuation.

Anyway, reported it to sky through the website and to be fair got a response the next day -although no phone call. Last weekend, the noise disappeared, the speeds went back to normal and i thought the nightmare i had been dreading had passed. Wishful thinking... On the sunday night the noise returned with a vengeance and has been there ever since. I have phoned sky a few times and have been told the problem is being looked at by tier 3 and i should be expecting a phone call - but nothing as yet.

How can the noise not be there, then be there, then not be there and the be there again??

I'm fairly clued up on these things as i was with Bulldog previously and learnt about it the hard way( ) Its not the micro filters, i have no extensions, the router is plugged into the test socket and it can't be the router (as it still happens using my own router...cough cough )

The only associations i can see is that i reported a possible fault to BT through the website a couple of days before the noise went away. A couple of days after they reported no fault, the noise came back. Also, i flashed back to the sky firmware before reporting the fault; when the noise went away i flashed back to the normal netgear firmware and a couple of days later the noise was back. Surely this is just coincidence....why would that make a difference?

I've still got faith that the problem will be sorted but this is just a repetition of the Bulldog problems that went on for 6 months.

Has anyone any similar experiences or solutions?? Do you think it could be a BT fault??
      Last edited by pavsid; 15-12-06 at 10:36 PM.

2. Advertisement
      Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by pavsid View Post
      If i unplugged the router, the noise would disappear. Whilst still listening on the phone, if i plugged the router back in, as soon as it tried to connect the noise would come back
      Its not the micro filters
      Do you think it could be a BT fault??
      No. Looks like a filter problem to me. Why have you decided it's not?

If not a filter problem then a router problem?

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I don't think it's a filter problem as i've got 4 different filters and they all give the same results. Not a router problem as i've used my own and before the problems it worked fine. It was only after the problems that i switched back to the netgear router to see if it was but the noise was still there.

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Have you tried a different RJ11 cable?

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Can't believe it. just changed the RJ11 cable and the noise is gone! How stupid do i feel now??! However i'm sure i was using the same one when the problems were there before.

Thanks a lot for your help, i'll see how it goes and report back if thats ok if the problem returns.

Thanks again....!!

Wheelie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stanmore LWSTAN
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Welcome to the site pavsid

These things happen from time to time but at least you now seem to be ok again so lets hope it now stays quite for you.
      Ray

Some Advice.. Its always advisable to inform your old ISP as soon as you have migrated that you have moved.

If you would like to know the straight line distance to your exchange then
      click here
      Would you like an idea of the possible speeds you will get with the Max Package then click here or for the Connect Package then click here

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Angry Re: Serious Line Noise/Intermission When Connecting

Just thought i'd update this thread as the problem is still occurring and there might be someone else out there going through the same hell.

Since last writing, Sky have apparently changed something over at the exchange which took three weeks and still made no difference. The only difference seems to be that the hissing noise is always there now whereas before it at least went back to normal every three/four days for about day or so.

Then yesterday I came back to an answer phone message saying that my settings were too high and my line can't support the speeds that i'm after and so my line has been capped to 4meg because that is what it seems to be stable at. He then went on to say that the signal kept dropping because of the amount of errors on the line - who said anything about the signal dropping?!?

Anyway, so I power up the router, it connects at 4000kbps, I pick up my phone to see if the noise has gone, and to my surprise....the noise is still there . As you can imagine I almost broke my phone when putting it back on the receiver!

The problem is that there is noise on the line when the router connects; not that the connection keeps dropping out and not that the line can't support high speeds. I have had high speeds before without any noise, and had 8meg broadband with my previous ISP again with no noise.

Is anybody experiencing the same issues or have any suggestions?

Krish is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Willaston
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Serious Line Noise/Intermission When Connecting

Hi, I had a similar problem since the storm couple of weeks ago. Phone line noise & Adsl dropout regularly. I didn't report to Sky, line noise is BT issue. I logged the fault to BT & phoned them as well. Excellent service from BT, regular updates, they sorted it out yesterday - cable outside house had rotted over years & finally given up. Cable changed, new master socket to replace old junction box & old master socket. Since then phone line noise gone, Adsl working brilliantly. Report fault to BT, you should not get phone line noise if it is Adsl issue unless it is filter or RJ11 cable as the superb experts on this forum suggested. Hope this is some use to you. Best wishes.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi Krish, Thanks for advice. Do you think it could still be a BT problem even though the noise disappears when i unplug the router? The line is fine unless I'm connected to the internet.

I reported the fault to them some time ago and it came back all ok. I don't really want to call them out as if they don't find anything wrong with their side of things they will charge me for it.

Can't be filters as i have tried several different ones and i have also changed the RJ11 cable.

Krish is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Willaston
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi, If noise disappears when you unplug the router, it doesn't look like BT line fault. You are right, they will charge you if they find their side okay. Might be worth trying a friend's router just in case it is a router problem. Wish you luck, hope it all gets sorted out soon. Kind regards.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast