Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

MAC code at signup?

This is a discussion on MAC code at signup? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hey, I registered for Sky broadband not too long ago. I had my MAC code on me, but was never ...

Jaunty is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

MAC code at signup?

Hey,
      I registered for Sky broadband not too long ago.
      I had my MAC code on me, but was never asked for it. I waited until the guy on the phone was ready to hang up and he had still not asked me, so I brought it up.
      He asked me to hold then I heard him asking someone else before the music came on. When he came back he was like "yeah, just cancel your current ISP", which seemed a bit strange.
      I asked him if he was sure a couple of times, and he made me feel like I had misunderstood, and to be honest, I don't really understand this whole business, so I agreed.

Now I have received 2 confirmation letters and my question is...
      Do sky broadband ask for MAC codes at signup and is there any reason for them not to want it?
      A period without internet access would be very inconvenient for me.

Thanks in advance for any help.

J

EDIT: My current ISP is zen, if that helps.
      Last edited by Jaunty; 29-08-06 at 02:27 AM. Reason: ISP

2. Advertisement
      mrmojo is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      I think he's wrong. Phone back and tell them this.

Wheelie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stanmore LWSTAN
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Hi Jaunty welcome to the site

Yes sky should ask you if you have one and the support site also tells you
      + Can I migrate from another ISP using a MAC code?
      to join Sky Broadband you need to get a MAC code from your current ISP and enter it during the ordering process.

MAC stands for Migration Authorisation Code and your current ISP generates it. You then need to enter this MAC code when you order your Sky Broadband product. We will use this code to synchronise the provision of your new line with the cancellation of your old one so you should only be without broadband for a couple of hours.
      if you would like do do a little lite reading go

Here

Please do keep us updated with your progress.
      Ray

Some Advice.. Its always advisable to inform your old ISP as soon as you have migrated that you have moved.

If you would like to know the straight line distance to your exchange then
      click here
      Would you like an idea of the possible speeds you will get with the Max Package then click here or for the Connect Package then click here

Ralph is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWNEDG
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Router: Sagemcom 2504N
      Sky TV: 2x Sky+HD 1tb
      Thanks

You are not alone

Quote Originally Posted by Jaunty View Post
      Hey,
      I registered for Sky broadband not too long ago.
      I had my MAC code on me, but was never asked for it. I waited until the guy on the phone was ready to hang up and he had still not asked me, so I brought it up.
      He asked me to hold then I heard him asking someone else before the music came on. When he came back he was like "yeah, just cancel your current ISP", which seemed a bit strange.
      I asked him if he was sure a couple of times, and he made me feel like I had misunderstood, and to be honest, I don't really understand this whole business, so I agreed.

Now I have received 2 confirmation letters and my question is...
      Do sky broadband ask for MAC codes at signup and is there any reason for them not to want it?
      A period without internet access would be very inconvenient for me.

Thanks in advance for any help.

J

EDIT: My current ISP is zen, if that helps.
      I also experienced something similar. After advising them that I had little hope (this side of the next millenium) of getting a MAC code from my vISP reselling a NetServices 1Mb connection, they shocked me by replying - No Problemo! I signed for Max & am now 7 days on and so far have (only) received the confirmation letter. Will advise of the outcome.
      LWNEDG
      Unlimited

Ralph is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWNEDG
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Router: Sagemcom 2504N
      Sky TV: 2x Sky+HD 1tb
      Thanks
      Decided to check my progress with Sky. My NO MAC NEEDED application has crashed & burned as they now admit they were wrong & a MAC code is needed.

'Tis no issue for me as I have a second line. Cancel for line 1 will go through tonight. Will reapply for line 2 tomorrow.

If this goes through smoothely - i'll be a monkey's uncle.

[Wheelie - Hi neighbour!]
      LWNEDG
      Unlimited

Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for all the quick and helpful replies.
      I will give them a call and report back here with the outcome.

Thanks again,

J

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Hi monkey's uncle and welcome to the site

Well fingers crossed mate and if they give you grief this time ask then to connect you to my exchange
      Ray

Some Advice.. Its always advisable to inform your old ISP as soon as you have migrated that you have moved.

click here
      Would you like an idea of the possible speeds you will get with the Max Package then click here or for the Connect Package then click here

Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I've just called them and told them I wanted to give them my MAC code for the order.

The man on the phone tells me that they have sent a letter out and my line will apparently be activated on the 31st of the month.
      I explained that I was confused how this could happen without my giving the MAC code, and I was told that I must have given it since the order wouldn't have gone through this far. I said I hadn't and he told me I must have - this happened 3 times in total, each time me trying to sound even more sure that I had not done this. Like I did it and completely forgot about it? wrong!

Ah well, I was told to wait and see what happens.
      I have two phone lines at my house, so I'm guessing they've signed me up at my contact number and not at the number I wanted. I guess if that's true it's not that much of a problem, but still not what I wanted.

Thanks again and I will be sure to update here with the outcome.

J

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Thats good news but one quick question about the phone line, did they use the number that you already have registered with Sky for Sky or Sky+ or did they use the other line you have?

As for your activation join the club mine is also set for the 31st so here hoping it happens then
      Ray

click here

Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

On the phone I was asked to key in the number to check the line or something, and later was asked for a contact telephone number. I'm not sure which one they used or if I have previoiusly given Sky my telephone number.
      Sorry.

J
      Last edited by Wheelie; 30-08-06 at 08:57 PM. Reason: Please do not quote the preceding post. Please use QUOTE sparingly if you wish to aim a reply at a user then please use @User Name this helps us to keep the forum tidy and posts more compact. Thanks

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast