Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

New to Sky BB Max - or should say Super Mini!!!

This is a discussion on New to Sky BB Max - or should say Super Mini!!! within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Guys, Firstly, let me just say that this is the first time i've come across this site and i'm really ...

ezwookie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

New to Sky BB Max - or should say Super Mini!!!

Guys,

Firstly, let me just say that this is the first time i've come across this site and i'm really glad i did - having had a quick scan through it, i have to admit this has to be one of the most comprehensive user forums i've ever seen - some really good points, tips, discussions and most of all a lot of good help.

So - cheers to all!

Now to the Sky Broadband - well, i've just signed up, yesterday in fact to the all-singing, all-dancing Sky Max product boasting possible 16Mb speeds, BUT, here's the problem, i barley get 0.5mb and in some cases down to only 0.3 - jeebus thats 300Kbps!!

Thats just ridiculous!!

Now i know that there are issues with distance from the exchange, cabling issues within the home, and possible router probs - but i'm only approx. 3.0km from the exchange (in fact my attenuation of 54db suggests that i should be getting anywhere upto 6mb).

I even tried plugging stright into the master socket, but this too only registers a speed of approx. 0.7mb!!

So how about running TCP Optimize, well this doesn't do anything!!
      ...AND, if i call Sky, which i've been doing since yesterday afternoon, i keep getting told its a BT fault call BT........and guess what BT said, yup, you guessed it, call Sky its their fault completely!

So basically i'm at a complete loss - as a new user to Sky, i'm not at all happy, and am now pretty much out of ideas!

Not sure if this is the right place to post a request - but if anyone has any ideas PLEASE PLEASE HELP!!! :-(

Thanks for reading my Sky BB update!! Arrrrgggghhhhhhh!!!

Wooks

2. Advertisement
      Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Hi - welcome to the forum. Could I ask you not to start two threads on the same subject. Thanks.

Yes it certainly sounds like you have problems. Can you start by posting your router connection stats please. If you're not sure how then this post will help plus it will give you some other background info which you might find useful.

TCPOptimizer will as the name suggests optimise your PC TCP/IP settings but will have no effect on the router connection speed. If this is being suppressed either by say noise issues or because Sky have capped you for some reason then TCPOptimizer will have no effect.

Plugging into your master socket is good but what you really need to do is plug into your test socket which you will find behind the faceplate of your master socket (assuming you have an NTE5). If you give us the before and after stats then not only will we be able to see what your router is connecting at, we will be able to judge the effect of your local line conditions.

With your attenuation you are very unlikely to get 6meg. Up to ~4.5 is more likely.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for the info Saturday.

Soz for posting 2 threads - i wasn't sure if i'd posted this first one in the right place - hence the copy!

Can i post the details you've requested in this thread?

Cheers
      Wooks

Exchange:
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by ezwookie View Post
      Can i post the details you've requested in this thread?
      Of course. It's your thread starting it in the main forum would probably have been better - I'll move it for you now.

You'll find this forum a very friendly place so don't worry about not knowing how it all works just yet.
      Last edited by Saturday; 15-12-06 at 03:06 PM.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Oh yeah - good point!!

Right stats are:

Connection Speed 376 kbps 296 kbps
      Line Attenuation 53.0 db 31.5 db
      Noise Margin 9.6 db 14.0 db

Note: my upload speed has dropped for some reason, i was getting 416Kbps upload speed last night!

I'm afraid i don't have a NTE5 master socket - just the old smaller 1 hole, non-faceplated version.

I've just noticed that if i plug into this directly (without the extension plug i was using before) i get no connection at all.

In fact i only get 2 lights on the router - the power light and the ethernet No.1 light - the internet connection signal light doesn't come on at all!!

Saturday - i would be happy if i could anywhere close to the 4.5Mb you mentioned previously - not sure what i can do!!

Arrggh!!! :

stripe is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: worcs
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      think you may have to many wires attached to your mastersocket, i did i had all 6, had to chop 4 of them out, that got my speed up some, then a good spray of wd40 got me a extra meg, check out your socket

DSL ZoneUK - Improve your speed - Extension wiring and Disconnection help
      Last edited by stripe; 15-12-06 at 03:30 PM.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Stripe - great guide mate! Thanks for that!

I haven't looked thorugh the whole thing yet, but i'll give it all a go for sure!

lol @ WD40!!

Never thought i'd have to use that since fixing my 10-speed Raleigh!!

Exchange:
      Thanks
      @ezwookie

Shame about not having a NTE5 master socket. It sounds like you may have some pretty severe noise problems generated by your internal phone wiring and your router is struggling to even make an ADSL connection. It's pretty much all fixable though

Start by temporarily disconnecting every phone, Sky box etc in the house and see what difference that makes. If it gets a lot better then start adding them back in one at a time to see if one of them is a particular problem.

In the end though I think you may need to do some rewiring.

Exchange:
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by stripe View Post
      then a good spray of wd40 got me a extra meg
      and it didn't short out your connection? Amazing.

stripe is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: worcs
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      wd40 is fine,
      WD-40 is a non-conductor of electricity and quickly eliminates moisture-induced short circuits in electronic equipment.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast