Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Experience Of Sky Broadband

This is a discussion on Experience Of Sky Broadband within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Have had service since Thursday and maybe too soon for overall view but must say I am a bit disappointed. ...

JAMES4578 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: HALFWAY
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Unhappy Experience Of Sky Broadband

Have had service since Thursday and maybe too soon for overall view but must say I am a bit disappointed. I am on the max package and have been getting on average asround 3-4 mb but from 9 pm in th evenings at times speed can drop dramatically at at one stage was clocked at 0.07 Mb! Usually when I switch computer off and turn on speed does come back up again quickly but is frustrating and I thougfh speeds maybe expected to be slower at times don't know why it is so bad a times, even if normally doesn' take too lomg to solve problem. If i could get constant speed even though I know it is well below the max stated would be happy enough and even if not always a problem turning off and on if downloading wouldn't always be a pleasant experience.

What do others think. I am just hoping there are teething problems and things will improve.

James

2. Advertisement
      NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries
      Hi James

Is your service better than your previous ISP?

I ask this because, i was on 2mb with F2S and my connection was solid, reliable etc. I was then maxed my stats say i am capable of 4mb down etc, but my speed test says different. My connection drops frequently, webpages are sometimes slow, however i put this down to contention, as tbh my connection is hardly used

speed test here

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

mrmojo is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      This definitely sounds like the router is getting clogged down with many CRC errors. Can you get line stats off the sky broadband box?

Wheelie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stanmore LWSTAN
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Hi James

There are a few other things you could try as well, the first would be to change the filler and if it still does it try unscrewing the face plate from the master socket and plugging the filter in the the test socket behind it, are you using an extension?

There are all so some useful tips here on the Sky site if you don't mind a little reading.

Good luck mate and keep us posted please.
      Ray

Some Advice.. Its always advisable to inform your old ISP as soon as you have migrated that you have moved.

If you would like to know the straight line distance to your exchange then
      click here
      Would you like an idea of the possible speeds you will get with the Max Package then click here or for the Connect Package then click here

Lawman Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Quote Originally Posted by NewsreadeR View Post
      Hi James

Is your service better than your previous ISP?

I ask this because, i was on 2mb with F2S and my connection was solid, reliable etc. I was then maxed my stats say i am capable of 4mb down etc, but my speed test says different. My connection drops frequently, webpages are sometimes slow, however i put this down to contention, as tbh my connection is hardly used

speed test here

Are you still with F2S, or are you now with SkyBB, because 4MB on Max does not look to good, I was quoted 14.5MB for skyBB, at present on dslMax I get a average of 5 MB.

A point on your handle...NewsreadeR....take it thats your occupation..
      mmm!...*thinks out loud*...NewsreadeR..on Sky....
      Hello!! Kate Burley

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries
      dammm - sussed

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser