Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Thoughts so far

This is a discussion on Thoughts so far within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Online and working within 8 days or order. My original intention was to go for mid package, but then i ...

barnsleyfan is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: wombwell
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Sky TV:

Thoughts so far

Online and working within 8 days or order. My original intention was to go for mid package, but then i changed my mind - went for the base with the option of upgrading once i know everything is ok - that way i'm not paying a fiver a month for a service with problems. One thing that threw me was that the 'i' light didn't flash amber then green straight way - took over 30 secs. I thought i didn't have broadband - in hindsight i may have been activated sevral days ago (wasn't waiting long enough).

My Stats are:-

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 2714 2482 0 1931 9206 00:05:29
      LAN 10M/100M 2740 3035 0 6705 1540 00:07:58
      WLAN 11M/54M 177 0 0 67 0 00:07:48

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 2048 kbps 416 kbps
      Line Attenuation 45.0 db 28.0 db
      Noise Margin 24.7 db 14.0 db

I realise the speeds are the maximum on the base package, but how does the line attenuation and noise margin look - are they good or bad. Based on this, what speed could i expect on mid package.

Tried a speedtest site and seem to get download speed of about 1700 mbs and upload speed of about 330 mbs. Tried downloading a 25MB file mentioned in one the postings last night and was getting a speed of about 225kb/s these speeds are very similar to what i get at work, but webpages appear to load slower i.e. images take a second or so, but are instant at work. Anything i can check ?

Going to try wireless tonight. Considering i am on base package, am i likely to suffer any loss in speed. Ideally, i would like to place the router upstairs on an extension socket, so everything is out of wifeys view. Location is virtually directly above - signal needs to travel through an internal partition wall and one floor. It would be great if i could still achieve similar speeds.

This forum is great ! (Hopefully i will be able to say the same about sky broadband after its been running a while !)
      Last edited by barnsleyfan; 14-12-06 at 09:12 AM.

2. Advertisement
      NoXioUs is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Bolton LOC
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Sky TV:
      Your margins are looking ok. on max youd probably get about 4-8 mb

chek that link out.