Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Site-specific speed issues?

This is a discussion on Site-specific speed issues? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hey all, Now that my connection has finally balanced out and has become pretty stable, I have noticed a rather ...

mrtom2985 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: York
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Site-specific speed issues?

Hey all,

Now that my connection has finally balanced out and has become pretty stable, I have noticed a rather bizarre trend emerging... it seems to me that certain websites are just permanently slow?? Here is an example:

If I download a 200MB file from microsoft.com, I will get a pretty consistent download speed of 400 to 500 KB/s (~4000Kb/s) and hence download it in a few minutes, no matter what day/time I try it on. Trying to download Adobe Reader (20MB) from adobe.com, however, is a lot more painful. The download speed seems to hit around the 20KB/s mark. Again, I have tried this on different days, at different times, for 2 or 3 weeks now! If I start both downloads simultaneously, the 200MB file will win. Just as an aside, I have not seen anything download faster on my PC than 500KB/s, so I would say the Microsoft speed is at the maximum for my Internet connection.

I acknowledge that all sites run at different speeds depending on current traffic, server bandwith etc etc, but it feels to me like the connection between my Sky Broadband and some websites is just slower than it would normally be.

Just to check, I have managed to download Adobe Reader from the Adobe site in a matter of seconds from my work computer, as expected. I wouldn't have thought that adobe.com would have bandwith problems at the worst of times anyway.

I was just curious to see if anyone else has noticed a similar trend? I have noticed slow speeds on a couple of other sites, but I can't be sure that these aren't down to the server for the individual sites. I am a lot more certain that something isn't right with adobe.com.

2. Advertisement
      Keiran2K8 is offline Skyuser Serial Spammer
      Exchange: Redditch
      Broadband ISP: Max & VM VIP-85 & Be* Pro
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Blog Entries
      Just to let you know alot of Webservers dont support high-speeds!
      Thats why you may see faster speeds on MicroSofts site!

Also.. The distance between you and the webserver can effect your speeds!

dingdong is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      re: it seems to me that certain websites are just permanently slow??

I know what you mean, i have noticed that some sites do indeed seem slow at times - this has probably a lot to do with sky's routing and caching systems. It may well be that a lot of microsoft download data is cached by sky so it is fed to you very quickly, also sky's routing (DNS info) seems a little flakey it takes 10 hops for me just to get out of easynet.net!!!!! to my site in the usa. 17 hops are needed, all other 4 isps that i have used have all done it in 10 or less.

mrtom2985 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: York
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Interesting! Well I can live with slow Adobe Reader downloads fortunately... Thanks for your replies.

Keiran2K8 is offline Skyuser Serial Spammer
      Exchange: Redditch
      Broadband ISP: Max & VM VIP-85 & Be* Pro
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Blog Entries
      Cool! No worries mate!