Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Please help before I kick my router out of the window.

This is a discussion on Please help before I kick my router out of the window. within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi all, I had Sky BB installed a couple of weeks ago and it was fantastic, for 2 days. Then ...

happymonkey is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: anfield
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Please help before I kick my router out of the window.

Hi all,

I had Sky BB installed a couple of weeks ago and it was fantastic, for 2 days. Then my router blew up and a replacement was sent. It worked fine for a day or 2 but now I lose my internet connection every couple of minutes and it is unusable. Fortunately I still have my blueyonder connection or I wouldn't be able to post this. Could someone have a look at my stats below and tell me if there is something wrong.

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 1642 1430 0 17 69 03:37:16
      LAN 10M/100M 223 0 0 0 0 10:33:51
      WLAN 11M/54M 9535 48416 0 162 49 10:33:41

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 11994 kbps 766 kbps
      Line Attenuation 30.0 db 18.6 db
      Noise Margin 3.8 db 12.5 db

I don't understand how it can go from super to pooper in a couple of days. Ant help would be appreciated.

Tony

2. Advertisement
      jewkesy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Fazeley
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Your stats are similar to mine. I've been connected for about 3 weeks now and not a single problem...

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 14492 kbps 766 kbps
      Line Attenuation 33.5 db 18.4 db
      Noise Margin 7.3 db 11.5 db

Are you connecting via the cable or wifi?
      "Man who walk through airport door sideways is going to Bangkok..."

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi mate,

Have been connecting by wireless mostly but the same thing happened yesterday when it was hooked up by ethernet. I notice there is a difference in the noise margin between you and me. Would this have any bearing?
      Last edited by NewsreadeR; 11-12-06 at 01:11 AM. Reason: removed quoted preceeding post ;)

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      @happymonkey

You've hit the nail on the head - with a noise margin of 3.8db I'm amazed you even have a connection!

The Sky router needs a noise margin of approx 6.5db or higher to work reliably. When you fire it up it syncs at the highest speed it can with a noise margin of 6.9db or greater. The trouble is, noise varies through the day and although the technology should cope with this it doesn't.

The upshot is that when noise gets bad (typically in the evenings) the margin that the router has previously negotiated is eroded to unacceptable levels.

You need to "lock" your router to a higher noise margin figure. To do this, simply reboot every time the margin drops below about 6.5db and continue to do this until it stops dropping - then leave your router connected and powered up.

You may find this background reading helpful. Also have a look at the cabling and faceplate help forum. Your attenuation suggests you could be getting both a better speed and a more stable connection with better filtering on your connection.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks a lot for the advice mate. It's now steady on 7.1db and workink fine. Now I know what to do next time. Maybe I can cancel the Blueyonder subsciption now.
      Last edited by NewsreadeR; 11-12-06 at 01:11 AM. Reason: removed quoted preceeding post ;)