Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

How to Check Wireless Connection is secure

This is a discussion on How to Check Wireless Connection is secure within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Using the wireless adaptor on my desktop PC and wife has wireless card on her laptop. Heard loads of horror ...

humfer is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

How to Check Wireless Connection is secure

Using the wireless adaptor on my desktop PC and wife has wireless card on her laptop. Heard loads of horror stories about people being able to 'use' your broadband. We both entered the SSID and network key passwords when originally setting the connection up, and the internet automatically connects when the PC/laptop is turned on. Are we both safe then? Just seems too easy.

2. Advertisement
      Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      You are extremely safe.

Whilst it is possible to defeat the standard default level of encryption on the Sky router, it would take a great deal of know-how, sophisticated tools and equipment plus hard work and luck.

Also, any person having both the means and the motive needs to be sitting in wireless range of you i.e just a few metres away.