Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Connection Problem - Please Help

This is a discussion on Connection Problem - Please Help within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by pete146 Well I finally received my call from Tier 3 - they said that they have had ...

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Connection Problem - Please Help

Quote Originally Posted by pete146 View Post
      Well I finally received my call from Tier 3 - they said that they have had to make some changes to my line as 'I appear to use my phone too much'!!!!!
      That has to be the single most stupid thing said yet by a Sky support person.

Unfortunately getting capped by Tier 3 while they investigate problems seems to be a common hazard. The bigger problem is that they sometimes don't see it through and uncap without a big hassle to the customer.

You have a fairly high attenuation at 60db but that should be no barrier to a good stable connection of up to 3000kbps provided you have done what you can to minimise line noise.

Don't give up. Keep at them

2. Advertisement
      pete146 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Willl do!

I don't think they've capped it just while they investigate, as they have closed the ticket. I have had to raise another ticket to ask them to cap it at 2.5mbps, so I think they intended just to leave me at 1mbps!

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Good for you.

However, if it was me I'd ask them to uncap completely and manage the connection speed myself by nudging up the noise margin.

mozbo is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01446
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi,

I've just come across this forum whilst searching for 'sky broadband connection problems'

Pete146, I sympathise, I've been experiencing a carbon copy of what you've been through!

My internet connection keeps dropping, only more severe than yours. I can literally view 2 or 3 pages of a website and then it just locks up. If I've got several emails, 2 or 3 will come through and then it locks up again.

As I work from home on the internet, it's extremely frustrating and costing me money. I'm paying for broadband and yet I have to go to dial-up to get some work done, albeit very slowly!

I've been through all the levels of support with sky and spent hours on the phone. They finally sent me a new router, but the problem is still the same.

The connection speed is very bad anyway (288K) but I could put up with this if it was consistent, but it's not. It just keeps freezing all the time.

I've tried 3 different filters and the test socket and it's just the same.

I haven't altered any router settings yet and i'm just wondering if you sorted your problem eventually or is it still the same.

On my last call to sky, their support said 'do you want to cancel it then?'

If that's the best they can offer, I think i will. If i can't sort it within the next few days, I'll be cancelling.

Grateful if anyone has any advice, even if it's what information I need to get from sky before I cancel, so i can try another provider.

Cheers

Mozbo

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

^ thats cuase you're on the wrong package and you need to get CST to realise that and then they can get BT to put you on ADSL Max which you should be on being a Connect customer
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi 'Iamnottheenemy'

Is it my previous post you are referring to?

If so, could you give me a little more information with regards to the package you say I should be onm so I can phone customer services.

Also, why do you say I should be on that package? have Sky put me on the wrong one and wouldn't BT have known it was not the right package for my property location?

Grateful for any advice

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

there's been a spate of Connect users being put on the wrong dsl package - instead of being on ADSL Max, they're going on 288 up/down...easy enough to resolve if the agent you get knows its going on but not otherwise...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Sky TV:
      Thanks

OK, I'm a pretty patient guy, but I've had a gutsfull and I'm cancelling my Sky broadband.

After yet another pointless phone call to a so-called 'technician' at sky who could barely speak English I've had enough.

He said he had my account in front of him and could see all the things that had been tried four times already on my previous phone calls and then proceeded to to take me through the exact same line tests etc. anyway!!

They simply will not acknowledge there is a problem. They keep telling me that it's a slow connection and I keep telling them that it's not the speed that's the problem, but the fact that I can't access more than 2-3 pages of a website or more than a couple of emails before it freezes.

Sky's customer service is absolutely diabolical and to make matters worse, I've just had my phone bill and there's 26 of calls to Sky customer service on there!

So, for my 30 connection fee, 22 first period's broadband rental, 26 phone calls, dial-up bills as i've had to use dial-up while this has been going on, I've receive absolutely ZILCH !

Can somebody give me some advice as to what I need to get from Sky when I cancel? I've read abour MAC codes etc.

Cheers

Mozbo

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I don't want to question your ability, but are you sure it is the router that is freezing and not the connection from your PC?

To answer your question, you have to phone the Cancellations Dept. , explain your reasons for leaving and ask for your MAC. One of the Sky bods on the forum will be able to tell you what phone number to call.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Yes, I've got two laptops and a PC an they're all the same.

I've tried wired and wireless, disabling my anti-virus and firewall, going through the test socket and everything else you can think of. Sky sent me a new router and the connection is exactly the same.

Time to give up I think !

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast