Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

acquiring network address - router dead?

This is a discussion on acquiring network address - router dead? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi guys. I've tried every way to connect to the router and access it's setup through http://192.168.0.1 , but I'm ...

thedude is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Question acquiring network address - router dead?

Hi guys.

I've tried every way to connect to the router and access it's setup through http://192.168.0.1, but I'm am having no luck.

I've used Ethernet to connect directly but constantly get "acquiring network address" if I let DHCP do its work, and get nothing when assigning an IP. I've also tried this wireless-ly with the same result.

After searching the forum I was hoping to find many other occurrences so I could blame a fault with the box. I'm going to go with occam's-razor though, and assume I'm doing something wrong - any ideas?

Cheers,

Chris

2. Advertisement
      iannufc is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Jarrow (NEJW)
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks
      You could try assigning yourself an IP address manually, say 192.168.0.2, and then have a go.

There are full instructions on how to do this in the Technical Forum (I am at work, so couldn't rattle them off the top of my head). But if you do this, it should hopefully solve your problem.

I couldn't say what the problem is, but that's what I would do first to try fix it. Hope it works for you.

Wheelie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stanmore LWSTAN
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Welcome to the site Chris

You could also try doing a factory reset, there is a small hole on the back sick a pin in that and hold it for about 10 seconds then all the lights should start to appear and flash once they have stopped try getting into it again.
      Ray

Some Advice.. Its always advisable to inform your old ISP as soon as you have migrated that you have moved.

If you would like to know the straight line distance to your exchange then
      click here
      Would you like an idea of the possible speeds you will get with the Max Package then click here or for the Connect Package then click here

oralluv1977 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: BT
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      When you connect to the router via Ethernet can you ping the router?

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for the responses.

Yes I tried assigning an IP, although i chose a 192.168.1.xx number. I did do a few resets as well as unplugging the router for a while and still couldn't ping the router in any way shape or form.

I'll be having another go with another computer tonight.

RonaldClan is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Paisley
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by thedude View Post
      Yes I tried assigning an IP, although i chose a 192.168.1.xx number.
      You need to assign the PC an ip in the 192.168.0.X range. Otherwise you put yourself on another network than the router.

Try 192.168.0.2 with a Subnet of 255.255.255.0 (Windows will probably put this in as default) and then try getting into the router.

If you cant get into it. Go to Start > Run, enter "CMD", and in the black window type "ping 192.168.0.1" (Without the quotes) and let us know how that goes.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      ^^^ What Ronald said is correct unless you have been in the router before hand and changed the Router IP's.
      Ray

Some Advice.. Its always advisable to inform your old ISP as soon as you have migrated that you have moved.

click here
      Would you like an idea of the possible speeds you will get with the Max Package then click here or for the Connect Package then click here

RonaldClan is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Paisley
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Wheelie View Post
      ^^^ What Ronald said is correct unless you have been in the router before hand and changed the Router IP's.
      Yup, But if you have then a reset of the router should solve that and put everytthing back to normal, Make sure you hold it in till the tick shows up (or a few seconds then release and the tick shows up) been a while since ive done it on a netgear router.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Yes! Such a simple mistake, but now all sorted! happily connected on the 192.168.0.xx network now...

Thanks guys.

Now... to get my signal strength above 11Mbps to make full use of the 15323 kbps the router says it getting

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Glad to see you got it sorted as for the wireless speed that can be problematic. You will have to play with the settings

@RonaldClan
      Thats why in my first post I suggested that Chris do a factor reset
      Ray

click here