Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Migration advice needed for novice

This is a discussion on Migration advice needed for novice within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi all. Another new Sky Broadband customer here (ordered it today), although it's just the Connect option available atm on ...

nomy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01565
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Migration advice needed for novice

Hi all.

Another new Sky Broadband customer here (ordered it today), although it's just the Connect option available atm on my exchange - with no idea when they will unbundle

I am migrating from Orange and have been with them since FS days. Their service for me is both unreliable and expensive, so this is a great option. To be honest, this forum was the deciding factor in moving over to Sky: it's very existence and the opinions of many here. Yeah, I've seen the horror stories as well, but I subscribe the theory of no problem...no question

I do have a few questions before it all starts though. Apologies if they are basic, but as I say, this is my first migration and also my first experience of wireless, so I would like to know what to expect. I know I should receive instructions with my Netgear Modem etc, but I would like to know from people who have experience.

Firstly (the big question), what is the physical procedure from switching from one ISP to the next? Do I just wait for my lights to go out on my existing modem, then connect my new modem after installing the software?

Is it a simple procedure to set up the modem with security, username, password and emails etc?

Do I need a separate software Firewall, or is there a built in one with the modem/router?

I have my main PC upstairs which has access to a phone point via a 5 metre extension off the main BT input. I have ordered a USB adapter so which would give me the better connection: Placing the modem/router downstairs next to the BT input and using my wireless adapter on my upstairs PC (PC would be right above the modem with just the floorboards between) Or using the Ethernet connection between PC and modem upstairs, then connect the modem to BT point through the 5 metre extension? I hope that made sense!

How long a gap in service should I expect? I'm going to feel lost when my service drops!

I'm not unused to PC hardware installation which is why I am doing a self install, But I've just never used any wireless equipment before. I just remember hearing so many horror stories about systems refusing to speak to each other in the old days (!), so I have pre-conceived fears. That, and the fact that I have never switched ISP's before makes me feel a little nervous.

I'm sure all will become clear when I get the hardware etc, but any advice would be appreciated. Besides, my first experience with Sky BB customer service left a lot to be desired:

Me: "When should I expect my modem and paperwork to arrive?"
      SKY: "In about 5 days sir"
      Me: "How much downtime should I expect whilst the migration takes place?"
      SKY: "Erm, your equipment should arrive in about 5 days sir"

She also had to take my credit card details 3 times! Oh yes, she also asked me for my Sky email address

Like I say, the existence of this forum was important to me

Thanks, and sorry for waffling on...

2. Advertisement
      NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries
      Quote Originally Posted by nomy View Post
      Firstly (the big question), what is the physical procedure from switching from one ISP to the next? Do I just wait for my lights to go out on my existing modem, then connect my new modem after installing the software?
      Yes but you do not need to install the Sky software, that is optional

Is it a simple procedure to set up the modem with security, username, password and emails etc?
      Yes - we have many tutorials on here to help

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/sky-broadband-tutorial-section/

Do I need a separate software Firewall, or is there a built in one with the modem/router?
      The router has a built in firewall, however you would be better getting a software one as well. Zone Alarm is a good free one.

I have my main PC upstairs which has access to a phone point via a 5 metre extension off the main BT input. I have ordered a USB adapter so which would give me the better connection: Placing the modem/router downstairs next to the BT input and using my wireless adapter on my upstairs PC (PC would be right above the modem with just the floorboards between) Or using the Ethernet connection between PC and modem upstairs, then connect the modem to BT point through the 5 metre extension? I hope that made sense!
      I would try the router in the master socket and the wireless dongle first. Then if the signal is poor, then try running an RJ45 cable from the router at the master socket to the PC. The only way of answering this is to try the options and which ones gives the best results.

How long a gap in service should I expect? I'm going to feel lost when my service drops!
      If it all works out, very little downtime, a million dollar question though.

I'm not unused to PC hardware installation which is why I am doing a self install, But I've just never used any wireless equipment before. I just remember hearing so many horror stories about systems refusing to speak to each other in the old days (!), so I have pre-conceived fears. That, and the fact that I have never switched ISP's before makes me feel a little nervous.
      Its all in the tutorials - don't worry and don't be afraid to ask.

Good luck and thankyou for joining us

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

nomy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01565
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

A little guilty of not studying the tutorial section first, so apologies for that.

Thanks for the reply, I'll spend some time reading that section now and wait and see what happens when the equipment arrives.