Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Just received box and letter from Sky - Is this normal??

This is a discussion on Just received box and letter from Sky - Is this normal?? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Ordered broadband from Sky last monday. Got the wireless adaptor on friday and my broadband box came on monday with ...

humfer is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Just received box and letter from Sky - Is this normal??

Ordered broadband from Sky last monday. Got the wireless adaptor on friday and my broadband box came on monday with a letter saying that my line should be active on the 8th December. A few questions

(1) I am with Wanadoo currently and gave Sky a MAC code. Isn't my line already therefore active?
      (2) They state it should be active by the 8th but recommend to leave a further 3 days. Would you or just take your chances on the 8th? What have I got to loose?
      (3) Assuming it works straight away do I then call Wanadoo to 'cancel'?
      (4) On a slightly different point, I have got the wireless router as I don't have ethernet cable connection. Which do I connect first - the wireless adaptor or the Sky broadband box to the telephone line?

2. Advertisement
      NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries
      I can answer a couple

(3) Assuming it works straight away do I then call Wanadoo to 'cancel'?
      Once you are on Sky BB, make sure you tell Orange to cancel your account with Orange, and also make sure you cancel any DD for Orange. Losing ISP's have a habit of still charging you for BB when you have moved.

(4) On a slightly different point, I have got the wireless router as I don't have ethernet cable connection. Which do I connect first - the wireless adaptor or the Sky broadband box to the telephone line?
      Connect the router to the phone line

If you get stuck setting it up just ask

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

jameseb is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Llanishan SWLNI
      Broadband ISP: Connect - but soon Max (4/1/06)
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Welcome to the forums

1. No in most cases the 8th will be the day your old internet connection is ceased by BT and sky is enabled...
      2. It normally works from that day although it can take up to three working days after this date for all the work to be completed.
      3. Wait till you finally connect to Sky first before cancelling from wanadoo
      4. Broadband Box first then the wireless adapter.
      Арте́льный горшо́к гу́ще кипи́т. (Moral: Working as a team produces better results!)

имейте большое рождество и С Новым годом (have a great christmas and a happy new year )

Dont ya just love russian proverbs!

J-ames

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Well that was kind of quick!!! Would you recommend I just connect the box up to the telephone line and see what happens on the 8th then? I assume that if it doesn't work and I can revert back to my Wanadoo broadband. Thanks again for the help

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries
      Yep - thats the idea

There is an order status thing you can try, I have asked Wheelie to post it for you here.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

Wheelie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stanmore LWSTAN
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      You can go here BT Checker Order tracking: Landline orders You will need to register if you don't already have an account.
      Ray

Some Advice.. Its always advisable to inform your old ISP as soon as you have migrated that you have moved.

If you would like to know the straight line distance to your exchange then
      click here
      Would you like an idea of the possible speeds you will get with the Max Package then click here or for the Connect Package then click here

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks - have just checked. There's 2 things in progress. First there is a 'LLU line share PSTN' which they have agreed to have done by 8th and then a 'ADSL BT IPSTREAM HOME 1000' which they have agreed to get done by the 13th. I haven't got a clue what each means...anyone have any idea?
      Last edited by Wheelie; 07-12-06 at 07:32 PM. Reason: Please do not quote the preceding post. Please use QUOTE sparingly if you wish to aim a reply at a user then please use @User

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      NP

The first one LLU is the provision of your new connection the second it the cease of your currant one.
      Ray

Some Advice.. Its always advisable to inform your old ISP as soon as you have migrated that you have moved.

click here
      Would you like an idea of the possible speeds you will get with the Max Package then click here or for the Connect Package then click here

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks again for the speedy reply and help. All fingers crossed for tomorrow when I connect the Sky broadband box then!!!!
      Last edited by Wheelie; 07-12-06 at 07:46 PM. Reason: Please do not quote the preceding post. Please use QUOTE sparingly if you wish to aim a reply at a user then please use @User

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Thats ok and lets hope it all goes to plan

Good luck for tomorrow.
      Ray

click here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast