Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Just signed up today...A few Q's..

This is a discussion on Just signed up today...A few Q's.. within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi All Just rang up sky to sign up for BB , i rang Ntl (my current provider to cancel) ...

Magicsid is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Just signed up today...A few Q's..

Hi

All

Just rang up sky to sign up for BB, i rang Ntl (my current provider to cancel) and was supprised how easy it was, and they gave me my MAC code the same night by email. I was told my MAC code will last for 30 days in which it has to be used.

So...ive ordered with sky the "Mid" Package. 5 pm.

I was told i should recieve my router ect.. within 5 days and should be connected within the next 15 days.

Now i already have wireless in my home using a Linksys top spec router which cost me around 80.. Is there anyway at all possible i can safely keep on using my router once conected to Sky BB ?????? if so How ? would be very greatfull on this info.

Also ive taken out the "Mid" package as a safe bet on the understanding i can upgrade my speed to "Max" if needed. im not sure if i will use the 40gb cap limit yet. i do occasionally download abit from the net, not massive files, and also use my network for online gaming (xbox 360). Anyone think ive done the wrong thing ????

Also is there any known issues wen conecting sky BBto my xbox 360 via my network..???

Is it possible to change my WEP/WPA key to anything i choose ?? or do i have to use the Encription provided by sky ??

Ive also read on a few forums that for online gaming i HAVE to use WEP security, is this correct ? or can i use WPA? (I'm using WEP at moment)

Ive chaecked my exchage status and it says "RED" is this good or bad ??

Im also only 780 meters from my exchage and will be connected directly into main feed into the house (no extensions)...should i expect a good connection speed from this info ?

At what connection speed should i start to worry ???

Sorry for all the questions, there just things that ive been thinking about and would be helpfull to know, i understand prob some of them cant be answered but if anyone could at least answer 1 i'd be very greatfull.

Thanks all.

(p.s This site looks the top, glad i joined)

2. Advertisement
      Hornet is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Eastbourne, SDESTBR
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Billion Bipac 7800N
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Welcome the the site btw

Now i already have wireless in my home using a Linksys top spec router which cost me around 80.. Is there anyway at all possible i can safely keep on using my router once conected to Sky BB ?????? if so How ? would be very greatfull on this info.
      A.you can use your own router but will break Skys T & C to view how you can do it you will need to pm NewsreadeR to get a password for the technical forum.

Is it possible to change my WEP/WPA key to anything i choose ?? or do i have to use the Encription provided by sky ??
      A.upto a point yes you can use the one you are using if you wish.

m also only 780 meters from my exchage and will be connected directly into main feed into the house (no extensions)...should i expect a good connection speed from this info ?

At what connection speed should i start to worry ???
      A.I am 960 metres away from mine and get 15 meg but depends on what your exchange can handle.

Thats all I can answer but someone else may be able to answer the others
      Last edited by Hornet; 05-12-06 at 09:02 PM.

jameseb is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Llanishan SWLNI
      Broadband ISP: Connect - but soon Max (4/1/06)
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Hia and welcome the forums!

Ill have a bash and answer some of your questions:

The router question - it is possible and you will need to request access to the technical forum to get that information as we can not post it here! But you need to get your sky router first in order to get your other one to work...

You should be able to upgrade from Mid to Max without many problems and 40GB is actually a lot but you always know you can get the unlimited package later if you want too! Remember sky dont charge to upgrade but its against the terms to downgrade in the first 12 months.

The X-BOX thing - ive heard people have used it - someone else will have to answer that one..

Exchange at Red really only affects the users on the Connect package who are using the BT network.. so you should be ok.

780 meters should mean you would get nice speeds by obviously certain other factors as the line quality etc could change that - when you get your connection or post the stats from your currenty connection and someone might be able to give you a better idea.

HTH
      Арте́льный горшо́к гу́ще кипи́т. (Moral: Working as a team produces better results!)

имейте большое рождество и С Новым годом (have a great christmas and a happy new year )

Dont ya just love russian proverbs!

J-ames

Magicsid is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Excellent, cheers.

Is there a website or link you can post to anywhere that will tell me what my exchange should be able to handle.. then i can get an idea of my expected speed right ?

How do i find the stats for my current connection to post on here..??

Hornet is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Eastbourne, SDESTBR
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Billion Bipac 7800N
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Yes clik on this link www.dslzoneuk.net/maxspeed2.php and from your router if it has it you can put your Line Attenuation and it will give you some idea.

If you can get stats from you router copy and paste it into your chat lines.