Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Netgear Security Alert

This is a discussion on Netgear Security Alert within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Since setting up my router, i've been getting security alerts from it saying that the source of a 'UDP' packet ...

coatesch74 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: CUDWORTH
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Netgear Security Alert

Since setting up my router, i've been getting security alerts from it saying that the source of a 'UDP' packet was 87.86.189.16 (host name cns.sky.com). It's on various ports that this happens, and has (DOS) in brackets at the end of the line - Denial of Service attack I assume? But after googling that IP, it turns out that it's a sky DNS server? Is this normal? Or it it that someone else on the same network's trying to hack in, and the router can only report the DNS server address?

2. Advertisement
      Hornet is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Eastbourne, SDESTBR
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Billion Bipac 7800N
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Not something I've ever had may be an idea to phone sky and ask them to investigate as that seems not right to me.

skalpel is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      That's DNS traffic being falsely tagged by your router as hostile - which will effectively kill your connection, or at least stop you resolving a given site.

Don't know how differrent the Sky Netgears are from standard, but setting the firewall level to "Basic" (or even "Off") will stop that without hurting your security at all (NAT takes care of network attacks straight off the bat).