Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Migration Misery

This is a discussion on Migration Misery within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, I was keen to sign up to Sky broadband when it was announced as I am paying a lot ...

StageCrew is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Horsham Carfax
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Unhappy Migration Misery

Hi,

I was keen to sign up to Sky broadband when it was announced as I am paying a lot more for a much slower service from another provider. So as soon as I got my URN from sky, I contacted my provder and got a MAC code sent to me.

MAC code arrived on the 11th and I rang Sky the same day. After a couple of attempts at getting the MAC code in I was told all was OK and a few days later I got a letter confirming a username and password.

On Tuesday 22nd rang Sky because I hadn't heard any more and no router box had arrived. Nice Lady at sky firstly told me my activation date was the 22nd. I then pointed out I had no router! She then re-read her notes and said no the system was still waiting for BT to confirm the line was OK and they would not send router box to me until BT said OK. Someone should call me with an activation date in the next couple of days.

On Wednesday 23rd my existing broadband stopped working. Rang Sky to be told their ordering system was down and a callback was booked for Thursday to tell me what was going on.

On Thursday no callback by late afternoon so rang sky again. Back office system still down so they have no clue what is going on with orders. Will log a callback for Friday but they are busy at the moment and if no-one calls then call them.

On Friday 25th rang late afternoon as no one called me. Spoke to Sean who was very helpful. Told me sky are having problems interfacing with the BT Penfold system which manages the orders. System is still down - he will go and talk to the provisioning team to see if they can tell him anything and will call me back. To his credit he did so - but only to say provisioning could not tell him any more AND as they don't work over the bank holiday weekend I will have to wait until Tuesday for find anything out.

Meantime, I have now got dial up working again using an old modem. Isn't 45kbps slow!

There got that off my chest.

Anyone else having similar fun?

2. Advertisement
      NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries
      Welcome to skyuser.co.uk StageCrew, sorry to hear you have had problems :-(

General concensus is that they are running a bit late, also it would appear that the recall to the customer seems to be slacking as well. I hope they take this on board and act accordingly.

The fact that Sean said about BT confirms what we were told as well with BT seemingly causing the delays.

Anyway i truly believe you have made the right choice and once you are on Sky's netwrok you will be happy

Keep us informed, this can be your unique thread as we are dead generous here

welcome aboard

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

Wheelie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stanmore LWSTAN
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Welcome to the site StageCrew

I am also sorry to read about your problems but what I find strange is your connection to your old ISP has gone down, I would have thought that since you are migrating and MAC Keys are valid for 30 days and as far as I know if they expire you will remain with your currant ISP so I would say there is more to this than meets the eye and theres is a good chance your line has been moved to LLU already its just a shame you have no sky router to try it out.

Not sure if this will work but you could try your new sky details in you router and see if it allows you to login you never know it might work but even if it didn't it should still give you some info as to whether or not you are actually connected to SkyBB the router log should tell you more.

Please keep us updated.
      Last edited by Wheelie; 29-08-06 at 08:04 PM. Reason: Spelling
      Ray

Some Advice.. Its always advisable to inform your old ISP as soon as you have migrated that you have moved.

If you would like to know the straight line distance to your exchange then
      click here
      Would you like an idea of the possible speeds you will get with the Max Package then click here or for the Connect Package then click here

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi Wheelie,

Thanks for your ideas. Unfortunately, I have an old Speedtouch flat fish modem so can't get much info from it apart from the DSL light does come on to indicate it is synchronising with the exchange? However, my old ID & pw does not work and if I try the sky ID & pw that does not work either. Also, leaving the ID & pw blank is no good.

As I have read elsewhere that you must have the sky box to connect then I am not surprised.

Interestingly, my phone died at the same time as my broadband on Wednesday but then it came back after about 30 minutes but, the broadband didn't. This also leads me to believe that someone was unplugging my line at the exchange and plugging me in to sky.

Just a shame that sky can't see what is going on!

Why is it that we (people, companies, nation) are so bad at managing change?

Will let you know how I get on next week. As the crow flies I am just over 1Km from the exchange so hoping for good things.

Werewolf Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Angry

Hi,

Im having the same problems, migrating from Pipex - switchover 23rd and all that happened is that Pipex has stopped working.
      The sky netgear sync's up at about 4Mb but never authenticates to receiver an ip address.

Sky have not been that helpfull, first call said service will not be launched untill end of August, so its impossible for me to be activated !!!
      Another call another excuse - refused point blank to look into my account because they did not know my mothers maiden name!!.

Third call, this time said my activation was 25th, but BT have 'problems', anyway as its a Saturday and nobody at Sky to Chase BT untill Tuesday - then to call back then!!!

So stuck with crappy modem!!!

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries
      Hi werewolf, welcome to skyuser.co.uk

sorry to hear of your problems, please keep us informed of your progress. btw, please register :-)

I know its hard to remain constructive, when things go wrong, but dont let things get you down

btw i am dying to do this

i used to be a werewolf, but i'm alright nooooooooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      ^^^^ What he said

@StageCrew

Ah the good old useless fish/frog, from what you have said it does sound like they have changing wires around which if that is the case its good news for you once you get the letters and router, lets hope you receive it all tomorrow.
      Ray

Some Advice.. Its always advisable to inform your old ISP as soon as you have migrated that you have moved.

click here
      Would you like an idea of the possible speeds you will get with the Max Package then click here or for the Connect Package then click here

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Just a quick update - spoke to sky this afternoon and was told the system said my line was activated yesterday. As I havn't received any hardware my problem was going to passed to someone else to sort out and they would call me back. Had a phone call about half an hour later saying that the backoffice were e-mailing a courier to find out where my router was and when they knew they would call me.

Asked if that would be today and was told it should be - no call so far though. Hopefully router will turn up in the post tomorrow. Will update tomorrow.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Well thats a good bit of news lets hope it shows up ASAP

Good luck mate
      Ray

click here

SAFC2403 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by StageCrew View Post
      Hi,

I was keen to sign up to Sky broadband when it was announced as I am paying a lot more for a much slower service from another provider. So as soon as I got my URN from sky, I contacted my provder and got a MAC code sent to me.

MAC code arrived on the 11th and I rang Sky the same day. After a couple of attempts at getting the MAC code in I was told all was OK and a few days later I got a letter confirming a username and password.

On Tuesday 22nd rang Sky because I hadn't heard any more and no router box had arrived. Nice Lady at sky firstly told me my activation date was the 22nd. I then pointed out I had no router! She then re-read her notes and said no the system was still waiting for BT to confirm the line was OK and they would not send router box to me until BT said OK. Someone should call me with an activation date in the next couple of days.

On Wednesday 23rd my existing broadband stopped working. Rang Sky to be told their ordering system was down and a callback was booked for Thursday to tell me what was going on.

On Thursday no callback by late afternoon so rang sky again. Back office system still down so they have no clue what is going on with orders. Will log a callback for Friday but they are busy at the moment and if no-one calls then call them.

On Friday 25th rang late afternoon as no one called me. Spoke to Sean who was very helpful. Told me sky are having problems interfacing with the BT Penfold system which manages the orders. System is still down - he will go and talk to the provisioning team to see if they can tell him anything and will call me back. To his credit he did so - but only to say provisioning could not tell him any more AND as they don't work over the bank holiday weekend I will have to wait until Tuesday for find anything out.

Meantime, I have now got dial up working again using an old modem. Isn't 45kbps slow!

There got that off my chest.

Anyone else having similar fun?
      That sounds so very similar. Got my MAC on the 10th aug and ordered SKY BB on the 11th as well. Was told i'd get my kit within 5 days with the migration happening 10 days or so after that - got a letter with my username and password but STILL no kit. Rang them tuesday last week and was told my order was delayed due to a problem on my line and was told a call back was arranged for thursday. No callback came so rang them yesterday to be told it was stopped but should be going through soon another callback has been arranged but to be honest I feel like telling them to shove it. Their communication so far has been poor at best and I now feel like i'm in limbo waiting for them to get their arses into gear.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast