Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sky Troubles

This is a discussion on Sky Troubles within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hey, i've been reading these forums for a while now, and I was just wondering if I could get any ...

dftp is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Post Sky Troubles

Hey, i've been reading these forums for a while now, and I was just wondering if I could get any help/advice on a problem.

I've always had some difficulty with Sky Broadband (I'm on the max package). But lately it's become really difficult to stay on for a few minutes at a time.

The router is plugged in downstairs to the master socket, and i'm upstairs connected through the wireless usb adaptor. The connection keeps dropping every couple of minutes, if I try go to "http://192.168.0.1/start.htm" it says "Connecting to 192.168.0.1" for a really long time until it eventually connects or it times out and I get a "Unable to connect" page. Connecting to 192.168.0.1 can take a while even when the connection is 'stable'.

This happens constantly, the connection drops, all downloads and programs accessing the internet disconnect, then is back up in a couple of minutes, only to repeat the whole thing again. When this happens quite a few times my Wireless USB Adaptor light stops blinking blue, and I have to take it out, then plug it back in for it to blink again.

These are my stats:

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 7542 kbps 764 kbps
      Line Attenuation 35.5 db 20.2 db
      Noise Margin 6.9 db 12.0 db

Any help would be really great, this is really annoying to me as my line of work is pretty reliant to using the internet. And sorry if it's in the wrong forum.

Many Thanks.

2. Advertisement
      pejay is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Bedford
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Smile

Welcome.
      Sorry to hear you are having problems m8, I am afraid i am not techy enough to help but there are many in here who will be able to advise, Just be patient and someone will answer you soon.
      hAS ANYONE SEEN MY cAPSLOCK KEY?

Dobby is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Gravesend
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Hi
      Have you tried installing the usb adapter and installing it again in a different usb socket, It may also be worth moving the Ariel on the back of the router to so that it points towards the sky, and make sure that there is not to many electrical equipments near the router as these interfere with it.

iannufc is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Jarrow (NEJW)
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks
      @dftp

If you subscribe to the Terchnical Forum by emailing access@skyuser.co.uk I remember seeing a long thread in there advising you on substaining a stable wireless connection.

NoXioUs is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Bolton LOC
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Get some tinfoil behind your router ariel in a curve. This will increase ur wireless stats. Its a cheap way of testing it.
      Make sure you point it in the general direction of the machine.