Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Stalling Issue's....

This is a discussion on Stalling Issue's.... within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Ok, so recently ive been having more problems (and no its not the speed, which makes a present change). I ...

Inept is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Stalling Issue's....

Ok, so recently ive been having more problems (and no its not the speed, which makes a present change).

I had called sky and spoke to their "tier 3" technical team to downgrade me onto an adsl line as the adsl2 line they put me on was doing me no favours.

The problem i have is that when i go to download large files or use torrent based downloads, the Router seem's to just crash, or my wireless USB adapter crashes....

The only way it will reconnect is by myself pulling my wireless USB device out, and plugging it back in. To add to this, it tends to happen VERY quickly after trying to download from programs like limewire and uTorrent (torrent clients).

Has anybody got any idea what's doing this. Im sure its not my connection or my router, but maybe the settings....

I have no problems playing my online games like BF2 or WoW. its just when i go to download large files via p2p.

To note, yes my Upnp is switched on.

Please help.

Austyn Cornwell.
      I am the Capri Sun King

- Society of Inept Baboons -

2. Advertisement
      AdamBrunt is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Godalming (THGG)
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Inept View Post
      To note, yes my Upnp is switched on.
      First things first then ... turn it off.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AdamBrunt View Post
      First things first then ... turn it off.

tried that..still doing it...

it seems like anything i do that involves direct p2p file transfers causes this cut out, as if its trying to download faster than what it should, and thus causing the "cut out" problem im having

i will make you aware once more, the Router does not disconnect nor does it drop connect. It is purely just stalling my wireless usb modem.

it is ONLY happening with p2p software like utorrent, bitcomet, limewire and bearshare.

before anybody reply's with a "novice" answer, can i suggest you dont. I am just in quander over this problem.

Notes to point out

#1 only seems to be happening since i switched from ADSL2 to ADSL.

#2 Im using TinyXP OS, although ive had no trouble with p2p in the past using this skeleton OS.

#3 I highly doubt its anything wrong with my USB wireless device, as its been working perfectly find in the past, and has not been moved or touched.

#4 it seems too happen within 30 seconds - 1 minute of actualy starting the download thru my p2p software.

Hopefully this is sufficient information to work from, any ideas?

Is thier a peer2peer option in the router settings? could it be trying to bottle neck on my wireless network, causing my USB adapter to stall until its removed and plugged back in. (and i am using the NETGEAR adapter provided by sky)
      I am the Capri Sun King

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks
      Blog Entries
      I have looked but cant see that you mentioned you have opened the ports in the router?

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/view-azureus.html

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

yes, i have tried all these. but i dont think you read my post right. this has only recently started happening, a while back it was all fine, didnt have too mess about with any of theese setting with the p2p clients i use, so why would i have to now?

just an addition, here is what exactly happens...

i run limewire, then it starts to download a file of my choice...then a few seconds later, it "kicks" me off my wireless network. and then to get back on i have to unplug my usb adapter and then plug it back in....seems very wierd....
      Last edited by Inept; 01-12-06 at 09:49 PM.
      I am the Capri Sun King

Thanks
      Blog Entries
      I can't answer why tbh, have you tried the same experiment using the ethernet cable instead of wireless to see if it still does it?

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

ethernet is not an option im afraid. my computer is upstairs and my wireless router is on the main socket of my phone line.

It really does seem to of only presented itself lately in the last 2 weeks...and its becoming very annoying as i now cant download anything using p2p client...
      I am the Capri Sun King

Thanks
      Blog Entries
      Its strange, either something has changed at your end (poss faulty router) or the profile that you are on.

There is an issue we are aware of on Connect and P2P but not on MAX / MID

From what you are describing, it is as if your router is choking up if thats the right phrase.

The only other thing I can suggest is to reset the router, hole in back of it - and press for about 15 seconds. This would mean you have to set the wireless back up, or if you can move your pc downstairs - yes I know its a pain, but would rule out the wireless side of it.

Perhaps someone else may have some suggestions.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Well, i followed the link about Azureus, although i was not a big fan of this "java" based software in the past, after reading through some of the changed logs and fixed logs, they have covered many of the security issue's that the software has been known for.

More to the point, im currently using Azureus as shown in the link that was posted and it seems to be running fine, no chocking up and a really health download speed........ <---- forget this bit.....

ok, just now as ive been typing guess what....."choked" again....

its becoming a pain in the ass.

Grrr.......
      I am the Capri Sun King

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

ok, upon further researched, i missed out a potentialy vital input.

When i had my Sky installed, i was on ADSL 2.5 meg down and 0.7meg up. This was amazingly unstable so i called sky and told them too lower my line and put me onto ADSL, as ADSL2 was causing too many problem.

Well, to being with, on ADSL, i optimized my settings using TCP Optimiser, but since being put on ADSL, had not recalibrated nor configured it. I think that this possibly may of had an effect and was the reason it was choking my connection.....

Il let you know if it "chokes" me out soon....
      I am the Capri Sun King

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast