Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Initial Speed Thing

This is a discussion on Initial Speed Thing within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Great forum everyone it has really helped me understand some of the bits and bobs of networks etc. Bfore my ...

Dizzbot is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Hinckley
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thumbs down Initial Speed Thing

Great forum everyone it has really helped me understand some of the bits and bobs of networks etc.
      Bfore my question, a few stats
      Inital order 2nd Sept activated 23rd Nov (don't ask!! it's a long story)
      Package mid
      stats 20:15 pm Wednesday
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 2624 kbps 416 kbps
      Line Attenuation 59.0 db 31.5 db
      Noise Margin 11.4 db 13.0 db lowest Downstream NM I've seen 8.2
      Intial speed at activation 3.8Mbps,then 3.4Mbps then 2.8, now 2.6 and static

Now the question - I have quite a large attenuation but my NM is fairly high (I think) and does not drop to near-terminal levels. I have not rebooted (this only works on Connect package?) or spoken to anyone. Given these stats should I be considering asking for more speed from Sky/BT Wholesale/both or I am just being greedy and my attenuation means I am getting the best I can hope for? I know you may have run through the new user/best speed/fixes thing but I cannot find anything. Also there may be others who would appreciate your valuable insights. Thanks for any help or pointers.

2. Advertisement
      AdamBrunt is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Godalming (THGG)
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      According to here, your current snyc speed is quite good.

My attenuation is 40 and I am also at the bottom end of the range predicted by the above "predictor".

Wheelie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stanmore LWSTAN
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Welcome to the site Dizzbot

Your stats are not very good and do suggest that your are quite a distance from the exchange, being on the Mid package the chances are you will not get any faster than you are as the top speed for that package is up to 8MB.

You could ask SkyBB TS if it could be improved on but I doubt they would be able to. No good talking to BT as you are a SkyBB customer they would just tell you to speak to SkyBB.
      Ray

Some Advice.. Its always advisable to inform your old ISP as soon as you have migrated that you have moved.

If you would like to know the straight line distance to your exchange then
      click here
      Would you like an idea of the possible speeds you will get with the Max Package then click here or for the Connect Package then click here

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Adam that link is only of any use to people on the MAX Package, Base and Mid are not using ADSL2+.
      Ray

Some Advice.. Its always advisable to inform your old ISP as soon as you have migrated that you have moved.

click here
      Would you like an idea of the possible speeds you will get with the Max Package then click here or for the Connect Package then click here

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for your input chaps.Please forgive me if it is obvoius but why did I start off with a download sync speed of 38xx kbps ? - I was thrilled to bits with this but it only lasted a day! I know about the exchange "hunting" for a stable connection but my noise margin has never been critical so why the drop off?

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      It happens from time time I guess its all down to the line and anything as long as your would be prone to picking up extra noise.
      Ray

click here

stevemillis is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: doncaster (balby)
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Smile same stats as yours

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 3968 kbps 416 kbps
      Line Attenuation 59.0 db 31.5 db
      Noise Margin 6.6 db 13.0 db

Hi Dizzbot, my stats are the same as yours but much faster down loads I had a similar download speed to yours i found out reading the forums that my upstairs extention wire in the back of the bt master socket had been wired up to include the orange wires which i didn't need these were interfeering with my connection removing these gave 1.5 meg increase in download speeds. i've been connected for a week now with no problems i am sure you could get better results once you have found out what is holding you back

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Thanks for that Steve

The good old and not needed bell wire yep that would hurt as well.
      Ray

click here

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks Steve (and the rest of you). I will have a look in the connection box as we have a redundant extension although I am not sure my electronics skill is up to it!
      Last edited by Dizzbot; 30-11-06 at 08:57 PM. Reason: misspeliing