Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Could get Mid, but now only offered Connect

This is a discussion on Could get Mid, but now only offered Connect within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I am currently with BT and am looking to switch providers and finally decided to take the plunge and move ...

mitchem is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Rochdale
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Could get Mid, but now only offered Connect

I am currently with BT and am looking to switch providers and finally decided to take the plunge and move to Sky.

I did a check on Thursday and I could get Mid etc. as Easynet are LLU'd in my exchange.

I range BT yesterday who gave me my MAC code over the phone, after trying to keep me.

Anyway, when I rang Sky all eager to switch they said they could only offer me Connect for 17 per month as due to the popularity it seems they have reached their quota for the exchange.

As they couldn't tell me when they would be able to offer me the Mid package I declined their offer.

Has anybody else had this happen to them and do you think they will upgrade their equipment in the near future. If not I may have to look to another ISP?

2. Advertisement
      nFuriate is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Darlington
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Yeh you can only get Connect on my exchange now, I guess I got in there in the nick of time I suppose. No idea on when they will get more equipment though..

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries
      The exchanges are being upgrade at a rate of approx 20 per week, we will soon have an up to date exchange tracker on here.

Thats not to say that the exchnage you are connected to will get done any quicker. But tbh it makes sense to add more capacity asap as Sky will make more money from you off an LLU connection than a Connect one.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

Wheelie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stanmore LWSTAN
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Welcome to the site mitchem

There have been a few posts from other members about this sort of thing happening as NewsreadeR has said they are working hard to get exchanges sorted out so just keep trying and good luck.
      Ray

Some Advice.. Its always advisable to inform your old ISP as soon as you have migrated that you have moved.

If you would like to know the straight line distance to your exchange then
      click here
      Would you like an idea of the possible speeds you will get with the Max Package then click here or for the Connect Package then click here

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

An update for you...

I sent an email asking when my exchange will be expanded and this was their reply:

I have done a check with your phone number on your exchange and it does not give me a definite time scale for when your exchange will be upgraded again. If you were to register your interest online then when your exchange does get upgraded we should let you know when you are able to get Base, Mid or Max again.

If you take up our Sky Connect package you would be the first to get upgraded to your choice of Base, Mid or Max.

Regards
      Sky Broadband Sales

I then asked if they could find out a definitive date as they must have a roll out plan. This was their reply:

There is only information on when your exchange is upgraded to cater for Sky Broadband. Unfortunately I have no time scale on when your exchange is likely to be upgraded for a second time. Your exchange has already been upgraded to get Sky Broadband and the next phase to get upgraded after that will be down to supply and demand. This is when the email would come into effect because if there was enough demand for a second upgrade to your exchange we would let you know when you are able to get Base, Mid or Max again.

I was originally told that I should try again in a few weeks but their last email seems to suggest that I could have a long wait...

sc0tsman is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: livingston
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Hi troops 1st post/reply

It may well be the case that your exchange has been upgraded but BT only give out X amount of slots per week and maybe just your bad luck that they have all been grabbed in your area m8.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Welcome to the site sc0tsman

I very much doubt that its anything more than the capacity at the exchange and once they have added more the ball will start rolling again.
      Ray

Some Advice.. Its always advisable to inform your old ISP as soon as you have migrated that you have moved.

click here
      Would you like an idea of the possible speeds you will get with the Max Package then click here or for the Connect Package then click here

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I know Sky's priority is to enable as many exchanges as possible but I couldn't get any indication on when they would add more capacity to my exchange. I suppose it is now a low priority unless lots of people suddenly register their interest to my exchange.

I am not going to hold my breath...

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      I am not sure its a case of low priority I think they are just trying to enable more exchanges as fast as they can and upgrading when as you say they get enough interest, I would say due to the popularity of SkyBB it will not be such a long wait or I hope its not.

Good luck
      Ray

click here