Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Max Package Issues

This is a discussion on Max Package Issues within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I posted this in another thread but thouhgt I'd start my own - any information would be really great! Signed ...

TheBugster is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Max Package Issues

I posted this in another thread but thouhgt I'd start my own - any information would be really great!

Signed up for Max and after Tier 3 got involved they capped me at 8096 as I was having problems. My Exchange is definitely ADSL2+ enabled, which is part of the reason I went with the Max (my bro is with BeThere down the road and he is connected at 18Megs)

Here are my stats

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 8096 kbps 768 kbps
      Line Attenuation 24.0 db 16.5 db
      Noise Margin 15.9 db 13.0 db

I am approx 600m from the exchange. When I signed up I was told my line was only capable of doing 12.5 megs - not a problem.

When I got activated I was first of all connected at 15.5 megs, and so the helpful lady in tech support said Tier3 would need to cap the line down to 12.5 - again, fair enough, if too much data is coming down the line I would expect lots and lots of problems. So they finally capped the line, not at 12.5 like I expected, but down to 8 as you can see above. So I called up and finally got hold of a Tier3 guy and the notes said they tried from 12-9 but still had lots of errors on the line. Going to 8 sorted the problem out - which he said also moved you on to standard ADSL.

Does anyone think this sounds right? Reason I ask is that he gave me some other rubbish information about some other questions I had and 1 response to fix a problem would be that whenever a new firmware comes out, the router will AUTOMATICALLY get upgraded, and also he had never heard of UPNP. Surely if an exchange is ADSL2+ capable, then I should be able to get it? My line can apparantly support 12.5, so it seems odd I need to move down to 8.

If anyone has got any tips or things Sky can do, please let me know! Sorry about the long msg.

2. Advertisement
      The Doctor is offline Skyuser Member
      Exchange: SSNOR
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks
      the router will upgrade automatically if we tell it to.

and if the line was only capable of 8mb without errors its all your going to get im afraid, if he left it at say 10mb with a few errors they will build up and they you would have problems.

just because a exchange is adsl2 capable doesnt mean your telephone line is good enough quality for it to work flawlessly.

im sure you would rather have an 8mb stable line than a erratic 10mb with errors correct?

Keiran2K8 is offline Skyuser Serial Spammer
      Exchange: Redditch
      Broadband ISP: Max & VM VIP-85 & Be* Pro
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Blog Entries
      With an attenuation of 24.0db you should be able to get a solid 14+Mb?
      I was pedicted 12Mb with 35.0db and they HAVE to cap me on 8Mb!

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for your replies.

Yes, I see where you are coming from. It's just odd that down the road someone's path to the exchange can be so much better.

DSLZone site says my line should be able to do 14-18 - Sky said 12.5 so I thought they had already tested the line somehow and come to the conclusion that my line could only do 12.5. Only getting 50% out of my connection is really annoying!

The Doctor is offline Skyuser Member
      Exchange: SSNOR
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks
      its just a prelim check, your line could have a lot of issues with it. if you realy do want it uncapped give them a call get them to update your ticket if its not allready been closed as resolved and then it will be done in time.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks - I think I will do.

I'm living in a brand new block of flats, so thought a new line would take a good route - but I guess from my flat to road will be new but road to exchange will make no difference!! grrrr!

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Most line noise is generated locally i.e. the customer side of the mastersocket.

Run this check:

If you are in a new property then you will almost certainly have an NTE5 master socket. Unscrew the front of your master socket and pull the front away gently. You will see a socket revealed known as the test socket. Plug your router directly into the test socket and see if your stats change.

As you are capped, the change if any should be to your noise margin. If this increases significantly then this points to locally generated noise. If this is the case then you could fix this and then ask Sky to uncap you as your line will have improved.

HTH

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

So if I do plug into the test socket and things improve, do BT need to check something?

What can I expect to see from the stats - currently it is

Noise Margin 15.9 db 13.0 db

What is a good noise margin?

Many thanks

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      No - if you plug into the test socket and things improve then it's nothing to do with BT. But let's worry about that once you've done the test.

The higher the noise margin the better. You already have an excellent noise margin but that's due to you being capped at an artificially low speed.

To understand the relationship between noise margin and connection speed read this:

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=5969

With regard to your current noise margin there's no saying how much it might move if at all. You're looking for a relative change not an absolute. e.g. if it moves by 1db then locally generated noise isn't the issue. If it moves by say 3db or more then it is certainly a contributing factor if not the entire problem.

Edit for clarity:

Normally, if you reduce noise on your line then resync your router then you are likely to see the connection speed improve as the router will resync to the highest speed possible with a noise margin of 6.9db or above. Your connection is currently capped so rather than the speed changing the noise margin will (lower noise = higher margin available).
      Last edited by Saturday; 24-11-06 at 04:26 PM.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Brilliant - thanks will check it out when I get home.

Cheers.