Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Phone ringing but no-one there. BT says not anything at their end.....???

This is a discussion on Phone ringing but no-one there. BT says not anything at their end.....??? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi there Last night, our phone rang several times during the night. The answerphone clicks in after 4 rings. Each ...

aznerak is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Angry Phone ringing but no-one there. BT says not anything at their end.....???

Hi there
      Last night, our phone rang several times during the night. The answerphone clicks in after 4 rings.
      Each time I got to the phone, it had just stopped ringing.
      We have caller display and this didn't register any of these calls. Also, when I dialled 1471, it didn't register the calls either, saying the last call was received at 19.20 yesterday, despite the phone having rung at least 6 - 8 times (plus any other times that didn't wake me up! ).
      I spoke to BT faults this morning and they say that there is nothing wrong with the line - they went on to say its probably caused by problems with Broadband equipment.
      Anyone ever heard of this before and know what I can do?
      Also, there is TONS of noise on the line - when I called BT, it was very very difficult to hear them due to all the noise. No doubt connected but I haven't a clue.
      Please help anyone!

2. Advertisement
      Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      The first thing you need to do is unplug your router from the phone socket.
      • If the noise on the line stops immediately then this tells you for sure that it is an ADSL problem.
      • If the noise doesn't stop then it probably has nothing to do with ADSL. Get straight back to BT as they have to investigate noise on a voice line.

If it is ADSL related then the most likely fault is at your end. The first thing to check is the filtering. Are your filters connected properly? If that doesn't seem to be the problem then maybe one of them has failed. To check you need to unplug all phones, sky box etc. bar one phone plus the router. Then try each filter in turn to see which one (if any) has failed.

If it is not your filtering then it must be the router or the exchange equipment. In either case, this is a Sky problem and you'll have to call them to resolve it.

So, go through each step methodically as outlined above and you should be able to get to the root of the problem.

HTH
      Last edited by Saturday; 23-11-06 at 10:31 AM.

prolink is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: SKY+HD 1TB
      Thanks
      We had a problem the same sometime back where the phone would ring a couple of times and bleep and make some strange noises. This was happening at ridiculous times throughout the night. I called BT as i wasnt sure if it was my phone going on the blink or a line problem and they told me that it was probably testing being done on my line. It never happened again until yesterday.
      In exactly the same way as last time the phone was ringing a couple of times and bleeping etc so i answered it and i could hear the guy at the exchange messing with my line as he was connecting it to LLU equipment.