Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

So slow and poor, sky dont let me down!

This is a discussion on So slow and poor, sky dont let me down! within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hey folks, Havin yet more problems with skybroadband. I've been home for the last week an enjoyed the highs of ...

kryten36 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Aberdeen North
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

So slow and poor, sky dont let me down!

Hey folks,

Havin yet more problems with skybroadband. I've been home for the last week an enjoyed the highs of ntl cable and now i'm back to ADSL again.

When i went away, LCP kept going down and up and down and up etc. Now it seems to be ok, did it once since being back but has been pretty stable for best part of week.

I say stable but unfort i'm havin some really bad speed issues. I've reset everything to factory defaults, started again an done speed tests gettin back 0.9Mbs which is pretty poor. My torrents are creeping along at 3Kb/sec after enjoying upwards of 300Kb/sec on ntl.

I've been doing some investigatin to change ISP but it seems now that i can no longer get an 8 meg connection with any other ISP. BT Wholesale have said i can get max of 2.5Meg. Would it be worth asking sky to CAP my connection at 2.5MB see if it stabilises things a bit?

Before i went away, i could get speeds of 700Kb/sec when downloading off internet but on torrents nothing over 80Kb/sec.

Please help, there are 6 of us using this connection and its sooo poor right now!

ADSL Link Downstream/ Upstream
      Connection Speed 8128 kbps /448 kbps
      Line Attenuation 24.0 db /13.5 db
      Noise Margin 12.4 db /22.0 db
      Some people say the glass is half full, some half empty. I say, you gonna drink that mate?

2. Advertisement
      NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries
      Hi try the advice given here

following on from my previous post, I now also get speeds and have a stable connection. To get sky connect working with torrents I did all the portwarding stuff as per many of the online guides. Set encrytpion in Azureus to RC4 and checked the two boxes to allow people without encryption to upload download to my pc. Then to keep the connection stable I turned off the upnp in the router. I now get speeds of upto 700kbs on heavily seeded torrents. Downloaded 1.5 gig recently in 1.5 hours on a 6-1 seeder to leecher ratio with speeds averaging between 300-400 kbs. Hope this helps anyone else who changed to sky connect.
      also azureus tutorial here

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/view-azureus.html

hope that helps

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks,

I've read the tutorials over a million times, and still i get such poor torrent speeds. I've tried the RC4 encryption too but no with uPnP turned off aswell, see how this goes! I've always tried it on heavy seeded torrents, back on cable i could easily get speeds of 150kb/sec so i kno what to look out for!

Thanks for the quick reply, i need to get this sorted because it's driving me insane! I wish i could get ntl cable up here in the deen!

k36
      Some people say the glass is half full, some half empty. I say, you gonna drink that mate?

Thanks
      Blog Entries
      If you dont mind could you try again after 12am?

We know there is traffic shaping going on, on the Connect accounts, the degree to which we cannot determine.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Yeah no problem, i have to wait til all the flatmates go to bed to mess around with the router anyway. It's been like this since it was connected in sept, i read that it could be sky puttin some limits on the account but i'm well under the 40Gb monthly allowance, it's hard to download more than that on this slow a speed!

Thanks for your help,

k36

Thanks
      Blog Entries
      Well they are definitely limiting the connect accounts for P2P as it woul dbe commercial suicide no to - the same as any other ISP.

However we do not know whether it is peak or off peak or both.

The wierd thing is some users report no problems with P2P at all whilst on Connect, so I wonder if it is per exchange basis?

Jackson_50 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

RE:

Hello again,
      Good old ellacoya. They (sky) just updated it not so long ago.

Well they are definitely limiting the connect accounts for P2P as it would be commercial suicide no to - the same as any other ISP.
      However we do not know whether it is peak or off peak or both.
      Its both. 24/7 traffic shaping on the connect accounts. There is even some traffic shaping on the LLU'd side of the network (base, mid , max) but it doesnt appear to affect peoples speed.

The wierd thing is some users report no problems with P2P at all whilst on Connect, so I wonder if it is per exchange basis?
      As far as i know its global, (covers the entire network) but your right in what you say, seen some connect users who are downloading well in excess of the 40 in under a week. So it might be tweaked for certain times in certain areas or something.

Its also possible that the people who are having problems, are on one of the crowded connect exchanges (overloaded by BT, some have upto 6 ISP's sharing them). Some have only SkyDSL in use.

Thanks
      Blog Entries
      Good old ellacoya. They (sky) just updated it not so long ago.
      So did Plusnet and it killed FTP and P2P .... 6.4 I think the version was

Its both. 24/7 traffic shaping on the connect accounts.
      Now thats interesting

There is even some traffic shaping on the LLU'd side of the network (base, mid , max) but it doesnt appear to affect peoples speed.

That does surprise me, as we were led to believe none on LLU

Its also possible that the people who are having problems, are on one of the crowded connect exchanges (overloaded by BT, some have upto 6 ISP's sharing them). Some have only SkyDSL in use.
      Possible, but then until we find out the degree of shaping on Connect cannot prove.

btw - where did your info come from? feel free to pm me if you dont want to publicly announce

The Doctor is offline Skyuser Member
      Exchange: SSNOR
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks
      hmm im also interested didnt know we where shaping any of the llu packages.

Jackson_50 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

RE:

No-one likes to admit to TS'ing, as there is a immediately a negative responce to it. But it can have benifits to a network.