Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Connected....

This is a discussion on Connected.... within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Well i've just switched one Sky Microfilter to another sky one and it went from 7616 to 7968 in the ...

nFuriate is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Darlington
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Well i've just switched one Sky Microfilter to another sky one and it went from 7616 to 7968 in the test socket.

Still though, i'm expecting somethings wrong somewhere? Was hoping for 10mb atleast, and 700kbps upload speed - i'm going to phone them about that.

*EDIT: now at 8032 kbps 416 kbps...rising. lets see if i can break the 8mb sync speed to prove that im not capped...i wonder
      Last edited by nFuriate; 22-11-06 at 07:07 PM.

2. Advertisement
      Naan_H is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: North Wembley
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      nFuriate that would be great as it seems a lot of new users on the MAX package are synching at or around the 8mbit mark when their stats would suggest a higher sych rate. Please keep us informed on what sky say about these lower sych speeds. Cheers.

prolink is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Sky TV: SKY+HD 1TB
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Saturday View Post
      Noise on your landline tends to point to a faulty filter - are you using plug in ones?

An easy way to test would be to power off and unplug the router. If the noise stops then the ADSL frequencies are getting through a filter to the phone.

Then it's a case of removing all filters and phones bar one of each then swapping filters in and out to see which is faulty.

If you have a filtered faceplate then still try the above but use a plug in filter too. If the noise then goes it's the faceplate at fault.
      The router is pluged directly into an ADSL wallplate with no additional filters. I didn't even change any cables, just unpluged the old router and plugged in the new with the existing cables.
      Never had a problem with line noise before but i'll defo give the filter a try.
      I'll report back

Thanks.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Okay, rang the free phone number and a scottish person answered. With the download speed they virtually said yeh that's what your going to get. With the upload speed she said that it was the mid packages cap, and that it could take till midnight for it to sync higher, wth? It's like they're trying to get me off the phone with that excuse.

So, the question is why are people getting =<8mb download speed and 416k upload speed? TBH I think it's to do with the capicity at the exchange, why give one person up to 16mb when you can say to two people that the max they can get is 8mb, and thus take on double the customers == .

It would be helpful if someone else gave them a call aswell, to see what they say: 0800-051-2595.

Pff....

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

WTH? I can't get any higher than 7616kbps now.... She better not have capped me!

prolink is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Sky TV: SKY+HD 1TB
      Thanks
      Ive called them today a few times and had lots of variations, from it will take a few days for your line to settle down to my line can only support 2mb.
      The last bit is not thier fault as thats what a couple of the ADSL checkers say even though ive been on a solid 8mb connection with Zen for sometime and have decent stats. Also i was quoted 12mb by the ISP which i cant for the life of me remember what they are called but its the one that uses the same LLU equipment and i believe they are owned by Sky. Is it UKOnline?
      A ticket has been opened and i'll just have to wait i guess

Naan_H is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: North Wembley
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Hi all,

My brother was connected yesterday to sky MAX and i asked him to give me his line stats to see how fast he is connecting.

Yesterday he connected at 8.8Mbps and the upstream was 768kbps.

Today it is:

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 9170 kbps 766 kbps
      Line Attenuation 34.0 db 19.8 db
      Noise Margin 5.9 db 12.5 db

So the downstream has increased. I guess the reason he is not connecting higher is because of the noise on the line at home which ill have to sort out over christmas with some rewiring. Anyway, the good news here is that i thought sky were throttling his connection, but it looks like they are not. His exchange (North Wembley) was enabled by easynet only 2 months ago so i very much doubt there is contention there or that capacity has been reached. It looks likely that on busier exchanges some capping might be in place.

HTH

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Well I think i'll give it a rest for today. I'll check tomorrow though to see if anything has changed.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Well, back online today and surprise surprise it's still at 416kbps. Grr they better fix it soon!

Wheelie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stanmore LWSTAN
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      I think there are quite a few other members that feel the same way, I wonder if its an update they did on the cards in the exchanges that could be causing these problems?

Lest hope what ever is causing this problem they get it sorted out sooner rather than later.
      Ray

Some Advice.. Its always advisable to inform your old ISP as soon as you have migrated that you have moved.

If you would like to know the straight line distance to your exchange then
      click here
      Would you like an idea of the possible speeds you will get with the Max Package then click here or for the Connect Package then click here

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast