Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shouldnt i be connecting faster than this?!

This is a discussion on Shouldnt i be connecting faster than this?! within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi all, great forum you have here . My brother was migrated today onto the Sky MAX package and he ...

Naan_H is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: North Wembley
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Shouldnt i be connecting faster than this?!

Hi all, great forum you have here .

My brother was migrated today onto the Sky MAX package and he installed his router. He was previously on MaxDSL 8mbit with nildram and sync'd at the full 8mbit, his downstream attenuation (using a netgear DG834G v1) was 30.

I asked him to give me his connection stats with the DG834GT, and he has sync'd at approx 8.8mbit, the downstream attenuation being 33.5. his upstream rate is 768kbps (i dont have the upstream attenuation). Downstream noise margin is between 7 - 8.

Surely he should be connecting at a much higher rate? i was expecting at least between 10-14Mbps (thats what all the line checkers say).

Im at uni right now and when i changed to ADSL2+ my speed approximately doubled from 4.5Mbps (on ADSL1) to 9-10Mbps. I was therefore expecting at least something way above 8.8Mbps which he is on now, its hardly an improvement from ADSL1 he had before!

So, has anybody ever seen an improvement in their line speed after the first few days of being connected? Unfortunately im not going to be home till christmas to really test the line out so i cant fiddle around till then (my brother isnt technically minded!).

How fast have other people with similar stats connected at?

Many thanks for your replies

2. Advertisement
      Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      There appears to have been a couple of occasions in the last few days where people seem to be connecting with reduced speeds on the first day e.g. this thread: Connected today but I am not to happy.

I wonder whether Sky has started to do this to check line quality before deciding whether to increase the connection speed? Doubt it but it's possible.

More likely is that it is either an error (Sky have put people on the wrong package) or there are line noise issues which are suppressing connection speed.

Thanks

Thanks for the reply....considering the sync speed is nearly 9mbit and the upstream is 768kbps, that would suggest i am on the MAX (adsl2+) package (its higher than being on nildram before) unlike the other chap who seems to be on an ipstream package. It does say in that thread that after the 1st day the sync should increase...im just curious to see what other forum members are connecting at with the same line stats (or similar) to me.

Exchange:
      Thanks
      I'm curious too. Up to now everyone has connected at the maximum possible for their current line condition. The comment that the speed may increase after a day or so came from a Tier 1 person. Unfortunately that wouldn't be the first time that duff info has been given out.

I agree that your brother's connection problem isn't the same as the post I referred to but I was just giving that as an example of the sudden rash of odd connection problems some first day connectors are reporting.

With an attenuation of 33.5db your brother's router has a potential connection speed of ~15000kbps. As an example, I have an attenuation of 38.5db and connect at up to ~13950kbps but choose to connect at a bit under 13000kbps for stability.

Is your brother likely to be confident enough to try his router in his master socket test socket. A significant improvement in connection speed would indicate that improvements to his connection filtering would be beneficial.

Thanks

I just spoke to him and he wont do anything till the weekend...he's just happy that its working ( i suppose thats the most important thing!)..in honesty im the only one who is confident enough to mess around with the master socket.

I do have a question tho regarding a filtered face plate. The wiring in the house is like this (maybe a bit complicated!):

1. Master socket is downstairs next to the front door (unfortunately there is no plug socket there so the router cannot be placed there )

2. There is an extension wire from the back of the master socket downstairs that goes upstairs into my parents room (router cant be here too because that would mean too many cat5 cables going into parents room; it looks shabby and someone could trip over them). Phone and fax connected here through microfilter.

3. About two years ago, i fitted another phone extension from my parents room into the upstairs hallway. This is where the router is connected to the phone line (through microfilter)

In summary: master socket -------> extension to parents room (phone and fax) ------> extension to hallway (router)

Ok, so if i was to fit a filtered faceplate to the master socket, and connect the router to the hallway extension (like it is connected now), in theory would my stats be the same as if i was plugging the router directly to the master socket downstairs?

I hope that makes sense and you can answer it! i know i need to test the router in the test socket first but as that bypasses all extension cabling im sure i will see an improvement in stats.

Thanks again for any replies, its much appreciated

The Doctor is offline Skyuser Member
      Exchange: SSNOR
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks
      I know most of you allready know this but just because you have a good attenuation etc it doesnt guarantee any speed, your line could be terrible quality and u may end up with eg. 5mb and have plenty room for improvement but the line simply will not cope.

Exchange:
      Thanks
      A filtered faceplate might help but you wouldn't get the same benefit as if you were plugging into the master socket.

The problem is that you've daisy chained your extensions rather than running two separate ones from the mastersocket. Were you to fit a filtered faceplate then both your extensions would have to remain unfiltered as you want to connect your router to one of them.

If you had two extensions running from the master socket then you could have one filtered for phone/fax and the other unfiltered for the router, which would be ideal.

Thanks

I see, i was unaware i could have two separate extensions from the master socket as i would have done this in the first place and not have daisy-chained it from my parents room . In saying that then, if i buy a new faceplate, can i leave the existing extension to my parents room (and disconnect the daisy chained extension to the hallway) and wire up a new extension to the hallway directly from the master without too much hassle? Also, why does the router extension have to be unfiltered? does unfiltered mean that it is only carrying the adsl signal and no voice signal?

Thanks

Jut out of curiosity then....if i was to attach a separate extension just for adsl, would i just have to connect it to the A and B parts of the faceplate terminal, and at the other end to 2 and 5 where the phone socket is for the router? what cable should i use for this then, and what will give me the best results?

And for the other extension with the phone/fax do i just attach the wires to the number section of the faceplate in the same configuration as it is now?

Thanks for all your help
      Last edited by Naan_H; 22-11-06 at 11:40 AM.

Exchange:
      Thanks
      If you can add a dedicated extension from the master socket for the router alone then that would be ideal.

Buy a replacement filtered faceplate which has filtered and unfiltered connectors for extensions. Connect your existing daisy chained extensions to the filtered connector (daisy chained is fine if filtered) and your new extension for your router to the unfiltered connector.

A phone line is capable of carrying a wide range of frequencies, only part of which are needed for voice calls. The rest is used by ADSL. However phones, fax machines etc will generate a lot of noise outside of the frequencies needed for their operation. What the filters do (either plug in or faceplate) is stop the voice call frequencies interfering with the ADSL frequencies (and vice versa).

If you connect a router to a filtered line then you will prevent the router from being able to access the full frequency band it needs. Note that with a plug in filter, only the phone connection is filtered, the router connection is a straight pass-through.

One last thing to note is that phone wires inside the house are prone to all sorts of electromagnetic interference. The filtered faceplate is particularly good at reducing this. However, if you have a dedicated non filtered extension then you should take care to keep the cable for it away from things like electrical wiring as this unfiltered wire, by definition, isn't being filtered by the faceplate.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast