Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shouldnt i be connecting faster than this?!

This is a discussion on Shouldnt i be connecting faster than this?! within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Your filtered faceplate should come with instructions regarding which terminals are which. When you come to fit it take careful ...

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Your filtered faceplate should come with instructions regarding which terminals are which.

When you come to fit it take careful note of which wires are connected to which numbered terminals on the existing faceplate. Then simply replicate this to the filtered terminals on the new one and then add the new extension to the new non filtered connectors. The wires coming into the house you leave alone as they are connected to the back of the socket not the faceplate.

Standard telephone wiring is fine though if you want the best possible connection use cat5 as the twist arrangements will reduce external interference. Just use two of the wires and ignore the others.

Remember for the new extension you will be plugging in the router alone. Ideally you'll buy a new extension faceplate with the correct socket. If not you can plug in a filter and use this as a converter.
      Last edited by Saturday; 22-11-06 at 11:43 AM.

2. Advertisement
      Naan_H is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: North Wembley
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks

thanks for the reply.

Yes i wanted to use the existing socket intalled a couple of years ago, however i think i will use a converter there just incase i need to use a phone at that socket. So if i use a normal network patch cable, cut off the connector ends and just wire up two corresponding wires at the faceplate and the extension socket....that should do the trick right? And while im at it i should disconnect the orange ring wire at the master socket too?

It sounds simple enough!

Some great advice there thanks.

Exchange:
      Thanks
      Yes if you've got a spare network cable then that will be fine otherwise buying a length of cat5 cable would be cheaper.

You could disconnect the ring wire at the master socket, though with a filtered faceplate this shouldn't make any difference. Bear in mind that if you do, some older phones won't ring any more (unless you plug them into a micro filter) and if you move house the new owners might be a bit P'd off.

Thanks

I should have some spare cat5 lying around. Sorry one last question!

ill be running the cat5 alongside the same telephone extension wiring to give me access to upstairs, i should have no interference problems running it along this normal wire should i? its not near any electricity wiring so i hope im ok.

Exchange:
      Thanks
      It's not ideal to run it alongside (a separation of a centimetre or two would help) but probably not a big deal if you are using cat5.

Thanks

well, i finally returned home and managed to test the router at the test socket, and the speed saw a massive increase. it jumped from 8900 kbps to sync at 15323kbps!! So im losing 6mbit to the wiring in the house, cant believe the massive increase!! isnt 15323kbps the maximum sync speed on sky broadband?

looks like adslnation will be getting an order from me very soon!

Exchange:
      Thanks
      I can believe it

There must be an actual maximum sync figure that Sky have set (Max is a "capped" 24Meg technology) but I don't know what it is. A bit more than 15323kbps I think, but not much.

When you get your replacement faceplate and hopefully the speeds you now see, do keep in mind that your router will be operating at a very high speed at its limit for your line. I expect you'll find it a little sensitive to noise margin drops and so you might be better off forcing a sync which gives you a slightly reduced connection speed (e.g. 14000) in return for a higher noise margin.

Thanks

Hi again,

Finally managed to fit the adslnation faceplate and ran cat5 from the master socket at the front of the house to the router upstairs. A 6mbit increase!

Here are the stats to confirm:

Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 15323 kbps 766 kbps
      Line Attenuation 33.5 db 19.6 db
      Noise Margin 7.1 db 11.5 db

Glad its over with, im knacekered from doing the wiring and now i can relax with 15Mbit goodness! Let the downloads begin! lol

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12