Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Speed Issues

This is a discussion on Speed Issues within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I am stuck in a BT - Sky catch 22 and would appreciate some advice if anyone has any ideas ...

promark is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Bradwell Abbey (SMBA)
      Broadband ISP: If you can call 1.4Mb Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Speed Issues

I am stuck in a BT - Sky catch 22 and would appreciate some advice if anyone has any ideas

Bit of a long story but will outline briefly

activated on Sep 7th 2006 was getting a constant sync of around 4.3Mbs with no disconnections all seemed fine. Then on the 29th Sep 2006 the sync dropped to between 1.5Mbs and 1.8Mbs with frequent drop outs and has been like that ever since. I get the same figures on the test socket by the way.

Have had a running battle with Sky to find a resolution to this loads of callsto CS with a couple of calls back (thank god for the 0800 number)

Have been told over the past month and a half my line had been capped to 8mb then 4mbs and then down to 2mbs, neither cap as far as i could see made any difference.

I have now been told this morning by Tier 3 that the problem is with my line into the house (which I dont believe) BT have told me the line is fine. They say 2.1Mb is all my line can support!! (I wonder if it is still capped to to 2mb)

Oh forgot to mention in the last 2 weeks for a day or so, the latest being this weekend just gone, I was symced at around the 4Mb mark

So now Sky say is BT and BT say all is ok where do I go from here?

Here are my stats as of today
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 1696 kbps 256 kbps
      Line Attenuation 51.0 db 29.0 db
      Noise Margin 6.8 db 13.0 db

Thanks

2. Advertisement
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I guess no one has any thoughts on my problem

One thing that may help me to get BT involved is are there any users here that are in the Century Ave area of Oldbrook Milton Keynes on the Bradwell Abbey Exchange I would be interested to know of your stats for the MAX package

Thanks for any info

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      It certainly looks to me like you have been capped. Actually, noting your upstream connection speed I wouldn't be surprised if you had also been switched to ADSL1.

If you are reasonably technically competent then head over to the Tech forum where you will find instructions on how to interrogate your router to see what you're on.

tittybiscuits is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: dunfermline
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      with the line att at 51, ur a fair distance away from the exchange, approx 1.5Meg is what have come accross with custs with that stat.

the noise margin at 6.8db is worrying for u, frequent disconnections and other problems will happen at anything under 10db

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Saturday View Post
      It certainly looks to me like you have been capped. Actually, noting your upstream connection speed I wouldn't be surprised if you had also been switched to ADSL1.

If you are reasonably technically competent then head over to the Tech forum where you will find instructions on how to interrogate your router to see what you're on.
      Thats a good point Saturday

I take it you mean this thresd How to obtain your username and password from the sky router
      Last edited by Wheelie; 22-11-06 at 04:58 PM. Reason: Only allowed to talk about such things in that forum

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

@Wheelie

Point taken... Sorry

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tittybiscuits View Post
      with the line att at 51, ur a fair distance away from the exchange, approx 1.5Meg is what have come accross with custs with that stat.

the noise margin at 6.8db is worrying for u, frequent disconnections and other problems will happen at anything under 10db
      My question to you then is why was I getting 4.5Mb with the same Attenuation in the first 3 weeks?
      I was told by Tier 3 my cable length is around 1395 metres and even with an attenuation of 51 should get at least 4.5 - 6.5 and the Tech I was talking to checked other connections on the card on the DSLAM I am on and they are getting 12mb with a cable length of a 1000 metres

go figure

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      With an attenuation of 51db your line is certainly more than 1395m - that may be the straight line distance. I'd calculate your line to be ~3.5km.

Tittybiscuits comments are very odd. With a "normal" quiet line an attenuation of 51db will restrict you to a potential ~5000kb connection with ADSL1 and ~5500kbps with ADSL2+. There are a number of people on the forum that achieve something approaching this - as indeed you did until recently.

As for "frequent disconnections and other problems will happen at anything under 10db", considering that the Sky router will sync at a default noise margin of 6.9db that would surely mean 99% of Sky customers should expect a terrible connection

In my own experience disconnections begin to become apparent at about 6.2db and are very evident by ~5.8db.

YMMV