Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Connection woes

This is a discussion on Connection woes within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi everybody, Just got connected the other day but having real issues with my connection. The router doesn't seem to ...

pcp
      pcp is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Connection woes

Hi everybody,

Just got connected the other day but having real issues with my connection.

The router doesn't seem to want to give my desktop an IP, so my network connection is showing 'limited or no connectivity', and windows is assigning a default IP

My laptop is working fine when plugged directly into the router but when i go wireless the status doesn't change from 'acquiring network address' so again the router seems toot want to hand out an IP either

My xbox 360 is hard wired to the router and all is fine with it.

does anybody have any solutions? i have all the tcp/ip settings set to automatic so i've no idea why it's not working. i foolishly tried phoning the number that came with the cd the other day only to waste 9.5 minutes on a premium rate number talking to a clueless person on the other end who constantly put me on hold to talk to the tech dept who's best answer was that my line wasn't active yet, despite telling her 3 times that 'yes it is, i'm on the internet right now', i grew weary of this and ended up hanging up.

Any ideas peeps?

2. Advertisement
      Hoagie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Gedling (EMGDDLI)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      You could try setting a static IP. Looking at your message you seem fairly clued up on this kind of thing.

Use Address 192.168.0.ANYTHING_BUT_1
      netmask 255.255.255.0
      Gateway 192.168.0.1
      DNS 192.168.0.1

Make sure you're the only thing on the network at the time you try it and then the router can be told to reserver the IP for you.

Router settings page is at http://192.168.0.1 username=admin password=sky somewhere there's a bit to reserve the IP.