Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sky broadband connection intermittently disconnecting - any thoughts?

This is a discussion on Sky broadband connection intermittently disconnecting - any thoughts? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi I've been with Sky broadband for several years. I've rarely had any problems with my internet connection. In August ...

RacingWithDeath is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER115
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Sky broadband connection intermittently disconnecting - any thoughts?

Hi

I've been with Sky broadband for several years. I've rarely had any problems with my internet connection. In August 2019, my non-Sky router began slowing down and eventually completely failed to establish a connection. After further investigation, my 15-year-old BT master socket was identified as the source of the problem. This was replaced Openreach. During this time, Sky also upgraded me to a new Sky Q ER115 Hub for free. My connection speeds were back up and my connection was rock solid. Everything was fine up until a couple of weeks ago.

I started noticing that the internet light on my Sky hub started going orange, resulting in a dropped connection. After a few minutes the connection would re-establish itself and I'd have the stable three green lights. At first, I didn't I think much of it and dismissed it as nothing. But since then it has started to happen more frequently throughout the day. The internet light now completely goes off and then comes back orange, before taking several minutes to go back to green. And just yesterday while none of my devices were in use, my Sky hub decided to reset itself (red power light on visible). I am now having several intermittent connection drops throughout the day. There doesn't seem to be a pattern. It just seems to randomly drop at different times during the day. The connection stays for several hours and then suddenly drops. Today the connection dropped this morning at 9.15 am, but has remained stable for the last 9 hours (I am writing this at 6.35 pm).

I have checked my telephone and I have dial tone. I have tried BT's ring back and quiet line diagnostic tests and both seem fine. I contacted BT today, and they ran a series of tests on their end and told me everything seems fine.
      I contacted Sky shortly after this and after running a series of tests, they told me that there appears to be a fault on the line. They said there appears to be a lot of instability on the line. They then told me that I would need an Openreach engineer to look at it, which they could arrange for. I have decided to go ahead with this, but I am just wondering whether it really could be a fault with the line. I mean according to my Sky hub's activity log my connection has had no drops for the last 9 hours. Surely if there was a fault with the line, it would not be able to be maintain stability for so many hours.

I was just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on what the problem could be.

I have provided a screenshot of my connection statistics at the time of writing:

Any thoughts based on the symptoms and router statistics would be much appreciated.

2. Advertisement
      OmarX is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router:
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Sky broadband connection intermittently disconnecting - any thoughts?

Hi

I have had Sky Hub Q ER115 router before it is totally rubbish the broadband use to disconnect all the time.

I have even had a filtered master socket installed which increased internet speed but the internet still use to drop out frequently.

So I have decided to upgrade to Sky Broadband Hub 4.2 as the newer router has better signal and it is much more reliable compared to the older one.

Since I have had the new router from December 2019 I have had no drop outs and signal has been working so far so good in my room. Where I never use to get signal in my room using Sky Q Hub

Also I do recommend that you should upgrade to the latest router then hopefully all your problems should disappear.

PS: I'm not the account holder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scubbie is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,220 Times in 2,089 Posts

It is very possible that there is a line problem. Hopefully, the Openreach engineer will be with you soon.

The ER115 may not have the same features as a Nighthawk, for example, but it is a relatively solid piece of kit.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

tenar is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Newcastle NINE
      Broadband ISP: sky fibre max
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: none
      Thanks

looking at your reading they indicate a issue as your snr (noise margins) are reading high which happens when dlm dynamic line management software detects a fault will increase noise margin to try to stabilise line