Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Cant use Open dns settings on my desktop computer.

This is a discussion on Cant use Open dns settings on my desktop computer. within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I know i cant change the dns settings in my SR102 router, but when i follow the instructions to the ...

B J
      B J is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Exchange Too Far----- street cab 80 yards
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Cant use Open dns settings on my desktop computer.

I know i cant change the dns settings in my SR102 router, but when i follow the instructions to the letter on my PC,the open dns test settings always come back with the oops you are not using open dns message.
      Do the open dns settings give better security ie block more malicious websites for example. I want to phone sky and ask if i can use these open dns settings, but need to explain why?
      His name was nut, Mr P Nut.

2. Advertisement
      coipu is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Lede on ECI Modem/pfSense
      Sky TV: Cord Cut
      Thanks

Re: Cant use Open dns settings on my desktop computer.

Idk what settings are in sky router (i dont have one anymore, i'm guessing Sky have removed it) but it's better to change dns at router imho but if you change dns on your pc you will need to either restart or do an ipconfig /flushdns in a cmd window before you will see a difference (it's possible sky routers block all dns and redirect to their own servers). If you really want to use something other than sky you could enable DoH in firefox and that defaults to cloudflare dns servers iirc and is the easiest to do. That being said if you are not that technically minded there is little point to this endeavour you will notice little difference in use, although it would allow access to the full interwebs bypassing UK great firewall which actually protects you a little bit from dodgy sites if you are not too tech savvy. gl

edit: back in day you could save a backup of sky router config to file and edit that manually in notepad then reload it back in to change dns (i have no idea if this still works)

B J
      B J is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Exchange Too Far----- street cab 80 yards
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Cant use Open dns settings on my desktop computer.

Quote Originally Posted by coipu View Post
      Idk what settings are in sky router (i dont have one anymore, i'm guessing Sky have removed it) but it's better to change dns at router imho but if you change dns on your pc you will need to either restart or do an ipconfig /flushdns in a cmd window before you will see a difference (it's possible sky routers block all dns and redirect to their own servers). If you really want to use something other than sky you could enable DoH in firefox and that defaults to cloudflare dns servers iirc and is the easiest to do. That being said if you are not that technically minded there is little point to this endeavour you will notice little difference in use, although it would allow access to the full interwebs bypassing UK great firewall which actually protects you a little bit from dodgy sites if you are not too tech savvy. gl

edit: back in day you could save a backup of sky router config to file and edit that manually in notepad then reload it back in to change dns (i have no idea if this still works)
      Ok thanks for the reply.
      I will leave alone for now but i know i could use Open Dns on my Pc at one time, but may be that was with my older DG934 router?
      His name was nut, Mr P Nut.