Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Disconnections & stats

This is a discussion on Disconnections & stats within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; After getting great help a couple of weeks ago from others on this forum, I now have another question. I ...

Noddy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Disconnections & stats

After getting great help a couple of weeks ago from others on this forum, I now have another question.

I have noticed that every time it rains I lose my connection. The router statistics show that the noise margin has dropped sometimes as low as 0.7
      Is this something that I will have to live with or is there anything I can do. I had a disconnection 15 minutes ago but the router did reconnect itself after a few attempts. Last week when we had heavy rain I had no connection all afternoon.

I fitted a ADSL split faceplate to the master socket yesterday which has helped with the speed but didn't really affect my noise margin.

Here are my statisitcs now (it's stopped raining!)

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 2937 3556 0 721 3353 00:15:22
      LAN 10M/100M 451653 386637 0 8647 5272 13:26:12
      WLAN 11M/54M 0 0 0 0 0 00:00:00

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 2592 kbps 768 kbps
      Line Attenuation 62.0 db 31.5 db
      Noise Margin 5.8 db 12.0 db

The noise margin is usually running at about 6 or 7. My distance from the exchange is 1.89km (straight line distance). With that distance does my attenuation sound right (I know it's high )

Any ideas would be appreciated.

2. Advertisement
      Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Noise when it rains is a problem only BT can help you with. You could report a fault but it would have to be a voice fault for them to deal with it.

Your best option in the absence of BT fixing the problem would be to sync (reboot) your router when the noise margin is at its lowest. If you then leave the router powered up and connected to the phone socket you will have "locked" the noise margin at a low of ~6.9db. When it is not raining you'll have a noise margin which is way too high e.g. 15db and this will suppress your connection speed but at least you should have no more disconnections.

If your attenuation is being reported correctly (a wet line could cause misreporting) then your line is a lot longer than 1.89km - more like 4.5km!

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for your help.

Have suffered again today in the rain. Even when rebooting the router when the noise is bad the connection is still lost within a couple of minutes. When it stops raining it's fine!! The noise margin has never got any higher than about 7.4 even when rebooting at it's lowest.

With regards to the attenuation - Although the straight line distance is 1.89km this would mean the line going through a golf course and a RAF camp. I did a online route finder to my local exchange and it said to drive there would be 4.8km. Looks like I am stuck with the 62db attenuation

Wheelie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stanmore LWSTAN
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Hi Nobby

Sound like the over head cable that comes into your house from the pole may be whats causing the trouble does it cause any noise on your phone is if so then Saturday is correct in what he said and you will have to talk to BT and report it as a line fault.
      Ray

Some Advice.. Its always advisable to inform your old ISP as soon as you have migrated that you have moved.

If you would like to know the straight line distance to your exchange then
      click here
      Would you like an idea of the possible speeds you will get with the Max Package then click here or for the Connect Package then click here

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi Saturday,

I haven't had any interferance on the phone unfortunately. I do have digital phones though, would this block out any noise?

I was looking at our over head cable the other day and it looked like ours was less taught than the others and was swinging a bit in the wind. Are the cables supposed to be tight or loose or does it make no difference?

Thanks for the advice.

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      @Noddy

7.4db should be fine but presumably it won't hold this?

If you're getting that much problem with rain then it is just about certain that BT would be able to detect this as a fault with your voice calls - but only if you report it. Most lines travel a mixture of overhead and underground. The lines are designed to cope with being immersed when the conduits flood but sometimes the insulation breaks down. If you are lucky enough to get a decent engineer then he/she will find the problem. You must stick your ground though and not be fobbed off.

BT will take a complaint seriously and investigate it if it is for voice - even if intermittent.

Gaztops is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Wanadoo/Orange
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      I would report it to BT as an intermittent noise fault and BT will test your line there and then.

Sounds like a buried/unducted wet joint to me. When it rains the joint fills with water and then drains away once it's stopped raining.

A BT test should show an Earth or Battery fault.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for that. Will get on to BT.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi,

Thought I would post an update and ask a question.

Since my last post I have been having a nightmare really. BT won't help as they can find no fault on my voice line when I phone. Have spent the last three weeks e-mailing Sky Technical Support who have been looking into things but it seems to be taking so long.

As far as I can tell Sky Broadband need to contact BT Wholesale who will then come and fix the line. They had even said in a email a couple of weeks ago that the rain is having an effect on the capacitors and resistors . Sounds so easy to me but just cannot get them to do it.

I had a phonecall from Sky this morning. They said BT fixed the problem 3 days ago and was it ok now. I told them that the problem still persists and they said they would get back to me with an update within 48 hours.

Anyway, about an hour after the phonecall I switched my PC on to find my router stats changed somewhat since last night!!!!!!!

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 512 kbps 768 kbps
      Line Attenuation 61.0 db 31.5 db
      Noise Margin 22.3 db 10.0 db

Have sent them another email and told them that it doesn't matter what noise margin they set the rain will still make the connection drop, it will just take a little longer with a higher noise margin. I asked them to put the noise margin back as it works fine when the weather is OK.

Could anyone tell me if I am right in thinking that it wouldn't matter what noise margin they set, if water is getting in the line then it's the line that should be fixed? Surely adjusting the noise margin is just masking the problem?

I also checked the log from last night and found that there was no connection throughout the night. It didn't rain but there was quite a frost so it looks like all wintery conditions are going to cause me problems.

Sorry if I have rambled on. Your thoughts as to whether I am handling this right would be appreciated.

Gaztops is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Wanadoo/Orange
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      The only time that rain will have an effect with capacitors is when your exchange hasn't got a roof on or your NTE5 is fitted on an outside wall.

The only things that are open to the elements is the conductors themselves nothing else.

Talk about rain having effects on capacitors and resistors is ridiculous.

I would persist in complaining to BT that you have an intermittent noise fault on you voice line.

Even though BT's computer test says the line is clear and no fault is showing, still keep on at them. Eventually it will go to a special fault team whom have to act upon it.

They will probably give you a new distribution line from The PCP (green box at the end of the street/estate) to the pole outside your home.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast