Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Had enough of Sky Q poor wifi range, can you help me please?

This is a discussion on Had enough of Sky Q poor wifi range, can you help me please? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hey guys and gals. For some reason when I go to bed at night and turn my equipment off then ...

canada16 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02920
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Had enough of Sky Q poor wifi range, can you help me please?

Hey guys and gals.

For some reason when I go to bed at night and turn my equipment off then go to bed, every time without fail my TV internet buffers like mad and will not stop until I restart my TV. I thought it was my TV but my kids TV did it as well at the exact same time last night, as when we turned our stuff off downstairs. This is so strange I cant even be bothered to look into it as there is nothing online about this issue, I looked.

Anyway, I measured my BB in my room and I am getting 3mbps, but downstairs I get 13mbps - Sky blames the master socket, but I cannot put my router around the master socket due no plug in's around the telephone box at the front door, and I cannot drill due to me being in rented Accommodation.

I just said to sky, I am not paying 32.00 a month for 3mbps of internet and contestant buffering, they offered me their range extender, I thought great, No sir its 80.00 .. HA HA

My house is new build, no internal bricks, router no near phones, TV or lights, just sitting comfortable in my living room.

I did a Sky broadband check with nothing downloading or being used at it says I am getting 32mbps but as I tested right beside the router I am getting 13mbps on a dell XPS, clearly not what I am paying for, but sky said, as I cannot hook my router up to the master socket then there is nothing they can do.

It was them that installed it, and they said they could not use the socket in the hall as there is no plug anywhere around the socket. My house has one of those stupid media boxes in the wall, the ones that have plus, antenna sockets, phone sockets and that type of stuff.

My bathroom which is 15 feet away on the same floor has no internet at all, so no bathroom surfing.

I told sky I am going to get a cheap extender from Amazon, but if this did not work I am cancelling, which he noted the conversation.

Anyway, with 30.00 Max to spend, what is the best extender on Amazon (Next day Delivery) thats easy to set up. Also does it get placed near the blackspots? If I have a couple blackspots can I buy 2 ?

Thanks all for the rant listening
      Last edited by canada16; 24-08-19 at 02:54 PM.

2. Advertisement
      cuke2u is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: SkyQ hub
      Sky TV: SkyQ Silver
      Thanks

Re: Had enough of Sky Q poor wifi range, can you help me please?

Strange, I am in a new build too but my speeds are over 30mbps all over the house. My master is in the hall too but I had the OR socket fitted in the lounge on a extension from the master...

canada16 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02920
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Yeah its weird. I will buy an extender, if that does not solve the issues I will just cancel as I am not paying 30.00 for 5mbps when they say I am getting 32mbps
      I cant see how its going to help though. There is nothing downloading online right now and its showing 19mbps and sky again is saying I am getting 32mbps

BurnIT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01827
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Are you sure you are measuring the same things??
      That difference would be about correct if Sky are using BITS per second and you are measuring BYTES per second.
      This is a common thing and most speed tools deliberately do NOT point out the difference.
      Communication companies always use BITS per second as the higher figure makes them look good.
      Just as an example I only get between four and seven megabytes per second and that is considered quite good FOR MY GEOGRAPHICAL LOCATION.
      I can actually see two different exchanges from the road outside my house, but the nearest cabinet(s) are half a mile away and getting fibre to the cabinet would make little difference.

skyeci is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: ECI CAB - 8800nl v1 (bridge mode) + i5 Qotom OPNSense with IPV6
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Have you done a speed test with a wired connection at the router to establish what a wired result gives you?
      billion 8800nl V1 (bridge mode)
      Qotom i5 Opnsense with IPV6
      Asus RT-AC88U - as wap

ECI CAB- G.INP disabled 8th April 2016

click for line stats by pi3/ECI CAB

click for line stats by Pi3/Huawei CAB

reghar is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01740
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Draytek Vigor 180 + Asus ROG Rapture AX11000 + ASUS RT-N56u wired AP + ASUS RT-AX92u wired AP x2
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Seen issue in the past with new build houses where the people next door have sky and have added good quality AP's to it. If they are using the same wireless channels as you it can cause issues.
      Was in a cul-de-sac once and there were 12 different wireless networks. My mate was on same channel as next doof and his wifi was awful moved to different one issue solved.

As skyeci says wire straight to router and see the speed. Don't spend cash unless you have to, I got my boosters for free by threatening to tear up my contract as I was sick of blackscreen connectivity issues.

Should look something like this:

https://www.speedtest.net/my-result/...e-2659c06811bf