Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Connection dropped. stats etc provided, please help!

This is a discussion on Connection dropped. stats etc provided, please help! within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I was just looking for that link.. Grr! lol...

Keiran2K8 is offline Skyuser Serial Spammer
      Exchange: Redditch
      Broadband ISP: Max & VM VIP-85 & Be* Pro
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Blog Entries
      I was just looking for that link.. Grr! lol

2. Advertisement
      skinnypete is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NewsreadeR View Post
      @ Tom

This tells you about the testsocket / mastersocket

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/index.php?page=mastersocket
      My master socket doesnt look like that? its just one face plate with two screws either side and the bt logo at the top left? its a new socket that a bt engineer fitted not long ago.

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      OK - you've read it but not understood it? It would help if you'd said that.

What I'm trying to help you find out is whether the most likely cause for your low speed and disconnections (noise) is or isn't relevant in your case.

Speed.

The speed your router connects at is largely determined by attenuation and noise. Attenuation you can't do anything about. You can do some things about noise.

Most noise is caused by your internal phone wiring in your house. Behind your mastersocket (if you have an NTE5) is another socket called the test socket. This socket bypasses your internal wiring so if you plug your router into the test socket and get improved results then it confirms that your internal wiring is at fault. If you don't have an NTE5 mastersocket then you don't have a test socket. BT will almost always fit an NTE5 so if they haven't then that is really strange.

You can do things yourself to rectify noise and you will find details in the cabling and faceplate forum I pointed you at. If you don't get improved results with your test socket then this confirms the problem lies elsewhere e.g. the router, your line to the exchange or the exchange equipment. You can't do anything about this only Sky can so you'd have to call them.

Disconnections.

The most common cause of disconnections is also noise. Your router can only handle a certain amount of noise. It needs a margin in fact. If this margin drops below about 6.2db in the Sky router then disconnections will occur.

Noise varies through the day. Typically it is low in the mornings and high in the evenings. Its a cycle. What you want to achieve is for the router not to drop below 6.2db.

When the router syncs it usually syncs at 6.9db. If noise subsequently rises then the margin drops.

The trick is to sync your router at the time of highest noise which will then set your router to a lowest noise margin of 6.9db.

If you subsequently turn your router off then you will revert back to a normal cycle and won't be "locked" to a high noise margin. Routers are designed to be left on. They use about the same amount of power as a nightlight.
      Last edited by Saturday; 20-11-06 at 12:36 AM.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

O ok so, what i should do is turn my router on at night when the noise margin is high and then just leave it on?

Exchange:
      Thanks
      Yes - to avoid noise related disconnections. However, that doesn't address why your connection speed is so low.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Saturday View Post
      Yes - to avoid noise related disconnections. However, that doesn't address why your connection speed is so low.
      correct. so i dont have a test socket? anything else i can do? or will it defently be a hardware issue?
      its weird because it worked at around 8mbps sometimes 9 for about 3 -4 weeks then dropped :S
      thanks for your help so far!

Exchange:
      Thanks
      Unplug every other telephony device in the house (phones, Sky box etc) and test again. You won't get the full benefits of the test socket but you may get some indication of "local" noise issues.

If the results are better then you could fit a new filtered NTE5 to the side of your mastersocket (are you sure BT didn't fit one?) and wire extensions etc in to that.

This isn't meant to be having a go at you but all the info you have been given is easily available on the forum and would only require a bit of reading.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I know i just had some problems understanding that it was the noise. thankyou for your advice. i will try disconnecting the phones tommorow, i am thinking that it might be the skybox that is connected to the same phone socket as the router so i will try that out
      thanks once again for your advice,
      -tom

nFuriate is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Darlington
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Saturday View Post
      Attenuation you can't do anything about.
      Lol just by moving my router downstairs it decreased my attenuation by 0.5

Keiran2K8 is offline Skyuser Serial Spammer
      Exchange: Redditch
      Broadband ISP: Max & VM VIP-85 & Be* Pro
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Blog Entries
      That really shouldnt have a difference @nFuriate! As if im not mistaken the attenuation measures the lines distance from the point it enters you house to the point at the exchange!

Though I may be wrong!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast