Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

SR102 - replacement and DNS settings

This is a discussion on SR102 - replacement and DNS settings within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hey everyone, Iíve had an SR102 for a little bit now and Iím just unhappy with its slow performance, poor ...

BrickCity is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: No SkyTV
      Thanks

SR102 - replacement and DNS settings

Hey everyone,

Iíve had an SR102 for a little bit now and Iím just unhappy with its slow performance, poor range and lack of adjustability. Iím looking to set up a new DNS and itís just got not settings options what so ever, so itís time for a change.

Iíve been looking at the Nighthawk series of routers and Iím thinking about picking one of them up, I just wondered, how hard is it to change router with Sky? I canít seem to find a massive amount of information.

I wondered, if I just plug in the router to the SR102, will it behave just as a modem and I can change all the settings in the Nighthawk? Or will I need to use the modem in the Nighthawk and set it all up that way? In which case, how much work am I in for?

thank you.

2. Advertisement
      skyeci is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: ECI CAB - 8800nl v1 (bridge mode) + i5 Qotom OPNSense with IPV6
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: SR102 - replacement and DNS settings

Not all netgears support option61 which you need if you want to replace any sky supplied router so do look into this. You would need a modem too as sky supplied ones wont run in modem only mode unless it's an modem/router device you are thinking of getting. Again with all in ones check it will support sky fibre. Some all in ones just dont work with sky.

As I said be carefull with netgear due to option 61 requirement. Asus with Merlin installed generally work fine sat behind a vdsl modem in bridge mode.

My personal preference has been to have a modem and router as separate devices and use a router that supports option 61.
      billion 8800nl V1 (bridge mode)
      Qotom i5 Opnsense with IPV6
      Asus RT-AC88U - as wap

ECI CAB- G.INP disabled 8th April 2016

click for line stats by pi3/ECI CAB

click for line stats by Pi3/Huawei CAB