Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Telephone and broadband setup

This is a discussion on Telephone and broadband setup within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi All, Was hoping you could help me. I have recently moved into a new house, and first should eplain ...

punchy1973 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Telephone and broadband setup

Hi All,
      Was hoping you could help me. I have recently moved into a new house, and first should eplain the current set up.
      I have BT coming into the the top of the house, (its a 3 storey house) and the master socket is in my bedroom. i then have telephone extension on the 2nd and 1st floor. So basically at the moment i have my broadband router in bedroom connected to the master socket along with a phone. I have nothing connect on the 2nd floor or 1st floor. I did try plugging my router into a filter on the 1st floor extension, because this is where my PC is, however it didnt seem to work well. I then brought mains extenders so could use the power socket next to my PC on the 1st floor. This has been fairly successful but because the ring main on the 1st floor is seperate to the ring main on the top floor i feel i am losing a bit. Also connecting to the extender wireless on the 1st floor is only marginally better than connecting to the router on the 3rd floor.
      My questions are can i move the router to the 2nd floor? can i use the existing telephone cable to acheive this? i have brought another BT adsl/ telephone socket the same as the master, can i use this on the 2nd floor?
      I am sure there will be many questions as i dont think i have explained that well lol.
      Any help appreicted.

2. Advertisement
      seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Telephone and broadband setup

You should only have one master socket on a telephone line so I wouldn't advise fitting a second one.

Just to check where you are losing speed could you temporarily move your PC near to your router, connect it using an ethernet cable and do a speed test. If the test is satisfactory redo the test but this time using the powerline adaptors plugged into adjacent sockets. If the speed is then similar to that obtained when the PC was on the first floor you might consider upgrading the powerline adaptors.

Separate ring mains shouldn't be a problem provided they are supplied from the same (single phase) meter. With a three phase meter you would have to make sure that both ring mains were on the same phase but such a situation would be unusual for a residential property.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by seawright View Post
      You should only have one master socket on a telephone line so I wouldn't advise fitting a second one.

Just to check where you are losing speed could you temporarily move your PC near to your router, connect it using an ethernet cable and do a speed test. If the test is satisfactory redo the test but this time using the powerline adaptors plugged into adjacent sockets. If the speed is then similar to that obtained when the PC was on the first floor you might consider upgrading the powerline adaptors.

Separate ring mains shouldn't be a problem provided they are supplied from the same (single phase) meter. With a three phase meter you would have to make sure that both ring mains were on the same phase but such a situation would be unusual for a residential property.
      Hi thanks for reply.

To be honest the speed when using the powerline adapters on the 1st floor isn't to bad. the main issue really is the quality of the wifi signal from the powerline adapters. This is why I have considered moving the router down to the 2nd foor so we can connect direct to the wifi from the router.

Thanks

Would it be possible to run a data extension from your master socket to the first floor? Cables are available in 10, 20 and 30 metre lengths and are lower loss than telephone extension cables. They are also available in black PE sheathed cable if you need to run one externally.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by seawright View Post
      Would it be possible to run a data extension from your master socket to the first floor? Cables are available in 10, 20 and 30 metre lengths and are lower loss than telephone extension cables. They are also available in black PE sheathed cable if you need to run one externally.
      Hi do you mean in order to move the Broadband router to the first floor?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by punchy1973 View Post
      Hi do you mean in order to move the Broadband router to the first floor?
      Yes. The cable used for data extensions is better quality (lower loss) than the cable normally used for telephone extensions so it would be better than plugging your router into the telephone extension socket on the first floor.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Do you have a built in filter on your master socket? If not, try removing the faceplate and run a speed test from the Test socket. (Link below)
      If you do have a filter fitted, you will get a poor, if any, result from your extensions.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.