Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Replacing the SR102 - Recommendations needed!

This is a discussion on Replacing the SR102 - Recommendations needed! within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi Guys, I’m planning on replacing my SR102, I really want to use my “PiHole” network wide but obviously the ...

UnluckyForSome is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Question Replacing the SR102 - Recommendations needed!

Hi Guys,

I’m planning on replacing my SR102, I really want to use my “PiHole” network wide but obviously the SR102 won’t let me change the DNS servers. I’m aware I need to extract the credentials from the router which I think I can manage. My question is can anybody recommend a router? I wouldn’t want to spend any more than £100. Also, I would appreciate if it could support fibre connections too in case I ever decide to upgrade from ADSL!

Many thanks!

2. Advertisement
      hushcoden is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Replacing the SR102 - Recommendations needed!

Do you want an all-in-one solution, i.e. a modem/router or are you planning to get a modem (using in bridge mode) and connect to that a router ? Also, do you know if you are connected to a Broadcom or ECI cab ?

Exchange:
      Thanks

Ok, looks like this will be a little more complicated than I thought. I would prefer an all-in-one solution, what type of router should I be looking for for that? And i’m afraid I have no idea about broadcom vs eci, is this important?

Many thanks!

Exchange:
      Thanks

Knowing the chipset of the cab you are connected to it would help the choice of the modem, that is Brodacom with Broadcom and Infineon with Lantiq but it's not a big deal...

As for the modem/router solution, I am not aware of so many models that support DHCP 60/61 such as Draytek Vigor 2762ac/2862ac, Netgear D7800, Netgear D7000-100UKS, Netgear D7000-200UKS, Tp-Link Archer VR600/900/2600/2800... there might be others but again I don't know how many others... (I read about TP-Link having good performance, but they don't upgrade their firmware so often, so for me personally it would mean a no-go).

Should you go with a 2-device solution then you would have more options...
      Last edited by hushcoden; 30-08-18 at 02:37 PM.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hushcoden View Post
      Knowing the chipset of the cab you are connected to it would help the choice of the modem, that is Brodacom with Broadcom and Lantiq with Lantiq but it's not a big deal...

As for the modem/router solution, I am not aware of so many models that support DHCP 60/61 such as Draytek Vigor 2762ac/2862ac, Netgear D7800, Netgear D7000-100UKS, Netgear D7000-200UKS, Tp-Link Archer VR600/900/2600/2800... there might be others but again I don't know how many others... (I read about TP-Link having good performance, but they don't upgrade their firmware so often, so for me personally it would mean a no-go).

Should you go with a 2-device solution then you would have more options...
      If I go with a 2-device solution I will need to replace the SR102 still won't I? Because otherwise there is no way of changing the DNS...

Exchange:
      Thanks

Correct, with a 2-device solution I mean a router + a modem (in bridge mode), definitely not the Sky hub... and yes in order to change DNS you must rid of the Sky hub...