Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Is the Sky Q Mesh Network really This Bad?

This is a discussion on Is the Sky Q Mesh Network really This Bad? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Is the Sky Q mesh network really this bad or might I have a faulty Sky Q box. My house ...

nheather is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Carfax, Horsham (SDHRSHM)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Q Hub - No idea whether it is an ER110 or ER115
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Is the Sky Q Mesh Network really This Bad?

Is the Sky Q mesh network really this bad or might I have a faulty Sky Q box.

My house is not particularly big and it is a fairly modern build with thin walls (plasterboard slapped onto breeze blocks or timber framework). The two rooms for my experiment are adjoining and shown in this diagram.

Is the Sky Q Mesh Network really This Bad?-img_20180820_0001.jpg

A - this is the Sky Q Silver box
      B - this is the Sky Q Router
      C - this is PC, hardwired into the router

As a measure of the best possible, this is what I get at my PC (very reliable) - ping = 10ms, down = 70Mbps, up = 20Mbps

Now moving around the house with a phone, ipad or laptop - I have tried several devices just to rule out the problem being with them.

Sky Q powered on

Position X - here it clearly connects direct to the hub - ping = 10ms, down = 68Mbps, up = 18Mbps

Position Y - just a few steps into the hall. Clearly it decides to connect to the Sky Q here - ping = 10ms to 50ms, down = 5 to 30Mbps, up = 5 to 18Mbps

Position Z - obviously connects to Sky Q - ping = 10ms to 50ms , down = 5 to 30Mbps, up = 5 to 18Mbps

So position Y and Z are the same - but you would expect that if they are both connecting to Sky Q. It was really a test to confirm that.

So when I connect to Sky Q the best connection I am getting is 30Mbps much less than when I connect direct to the Sky Hub.

But it is worse, that it is so variable, often it will drop down to 5Mbps or less and the ping will jump up to 50ms or more.

But the real eye opener - powering Sky Q off

This forces the device to connect to the hub

Position Y - 40Mbps down

Position Z - 60Mps down

I think Position Y maybe worse than Z, even though it is closer, because the path is through plasterboard wall and a set of bookcases whereas Y is just through a plasterboard wall.

So in summary, download speeds are

Position Y - without Q, 40Mbps, with Q 5-30Mbps
      Position Z - without Q, 60Mbps, with Q 5-30Mbps

Is Sky Q really this rubbish or might my box be duff?

Cheers,

Nigel

2. Advertisement
      lettice is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0.4 mile away and cabinet 350 yards
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Max
      Router: ER110UK Sky Q hub
      Sky TV: SkyQ2tb + minis
      Thanks

Re: Is the Sky Q Mesh Network really This Bad?

What is to the right of B (Sky Q hub) through the wall.
      Have you tried moving your router to a position half way between the study and lounge.
      Is that the only rooms on that level, kitchen bedrooms on a different level?
      How is your sky q box connected to the hub, wireless or ethernet?

Assuming that the sky q box and hub are not near any radiators, landline phones, electrical items like desktop PCs, microwaves or refrigerators.
      Also foil-backed insulation foam, some wallpapers and damp are another cause of interference.

Also, have you tried walking around the house and using a wifi anaylser app on an android, iOS or laptop to make sure you are not getting interference with the channel your are using?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lettice View Post
      What is to the right of B (Sky Q hub) through the wall.
      Have you tried moving your router to a position half way between the study and lounge.
      Is that the only rooms on that level, kitchen bedrooms on a different level?
      How is your sky q box connected to the hub, wireless or ethernet?

Assuming that the sky q box and hub are not near any radiators, landline phones, electrical items like desktop PCs, microwaves or refrigerators.
      Also foil-backed insulation foam, some wallpapers and damp are another cause of interference.

Also, have you tried walking around the house and using a wifi anaylser app on an android, iOS or laptop to make sure you are not getting interference with the channel your are using?
      To the right of B is a window - the Hub is sat in the window ledge of a bay window - it is the outside wall of my house.

But I'm not sure you have understood my issue. Take Sky Q out of the equation (power it off) and my wifi connection is perfectly acceptable.

With the Sky Q turned off if I stand with my iPad at positions A or Z I get good connection to the Hub and get 50-60 Mbps down.

But with the Sky Q turned on, if I stand with my iPad in the same positions I get at best 30 Mbps but can be as low as 5 Mbps.

So my issue isn't with the Sky Hub, it is what I'm getting with the Sky Q network mesh - it is dreadful.

Cheers,

Nigel

lettice is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0.4 mile away and cabinet 350 yards
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Max
      Router: ER110UK Sky Q hub
      Sky TV: SkyQ2tb + minis
      Thanks

Yes, looks like your sky q box is not getting a good connection to your sky q hub from its position. Then the device connecting to it is getting a lower signal than direct to the hub.
      Not a good idea to have the hub next to a window, but it seems to be giving off a good signal, so id say not an issue for you.
      Is your sky q box wireless?
      Is the sky q box in a cabinet or on an open shelf below the TV?
      If your sky q box is wireless, you could always connect up a few powerlines to the sky q box and hub, so ensuring the signal to it is stronger (ethernet strength).

By the way, you did not mention if you had a mini or not as part of the mesh?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lettice View Post
      Yes, looks like your sky q box is not getting a good connection to your sky q hub from its position. Then the device connecting to it is getting a lower signal than direct to the hub.
      Not a good idea to have the hub next to a window, but it seems to be giving off a good signal, so id say not an issue for you.
      Is your sky q box wireless?
      Is the sky q box in a cabinet or on an open shelf below the TV?
      If your sky q box is wireless, you could always connect up a few powerlines to the sky q box and hub, so ensuring the signal to it is stronger (ethernet strength).

By the way, you did not mention if you had a mini or not as part of the mesh?
      Spoke to Sky this morning - the Sky Mesh team if there is such a thing. They said they had looked at the diagnostics that they collect and they show that the connection between the Sky Q and Sky Hub was ‘strained’ - by which they mean has poor quality and bandwidth.

There only explanation was environment, interference or obstacles but could not explain why my iPad, phone, or laptop placed in the same location as the Sky Q can establish a fast and stable connection with the Sky Hub.

We went through the “obstacles” and “they both have the same obstacles” circle a few times but in the end the Sky guy was at a liss to explain it.

Cheers,

Nigel

146Kg is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER115
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

That sounds around what I would expect.
      If you are connecting to the hub with the "Q" off it is only one hop.
      If you are connecting to the "Q" it is two hops, WiFi to the "Q" whis is connecting to the Hub via WiFi.
      I think it is advertised as getting a good signal, not a good speed.
      I've noticed similar speed differences moving around my place while still having a stronger signal with the "Q" on.