Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Boost Your WiFi

This is a discussion on Boost Your WiFi within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Sky are currently running an Incredibles 2 themed advert where a Sky engineer comes to the superheroes home and 'makes ...

nheather is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Carfax, Horsham (SDHRSHM)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Q Hub - No idea whether it is an ER110 or ER115
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Boost Your WiFi

Sky are currently running an Incredibles 2 themed advert where a Sky engineer comes to the superheroes home and 'makes some adjustments and boosts' their WiFi.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYZ_iWpqPTQ

The elder son (Dashiell) then runs around the house, including up to the roof in a blatant rip off of the old BT advert, confirming that he can get a perfect signal anywhere in the house.

Now I'm expecting this to be unsubstantiated marketing hype verging on fibbing but just in case I am missing something, can Sky really come round to your house and boost your WiFi.

If so, I'd love them to come to my house because my Sky Q WiFi drops off significantly as soon as we leave the room that has the router/hub.

There are certainly plenty of places in our house where we can only get a very poor signal (much reduced bandwidth according to SpeedTest) and some where we can't get a signal at all. And no, I don't live in a palace or castle.

Cheers,

Nigel

2. Advertisement
      Koala5 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunstable
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Boost Your WiFi

I suspect the claims refer to there mesh WiFi system which uses extra Sky Q set top boxes as WiFi repeaters, but of course you need to subscribing to multi room to take advantage and I don’t see how an engineer can tweak it up other than switching WiFi channels. I take most adverts with a pinch of salt these days!

pete.i is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01757
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Freesat/etc
      Thanks

I have Sky Fibre and I have three routers strategically placed around my house to spread the wi fi signal. I do not live in a mansion just a modest three bed bungalow. I could have used wi fi extenders but they weren't generally available when I "tweaked" my wi fi. In my opinion if adverts imply that an improvement can be made by "just tweaking" and do not explain that that "just tweaking" requires extra equipment at extra cost then, as far as I am concerned that is a blatant lie. "Just tweaking" to me, an ex electronics engineer, means taking a small screwdriver or tuning stick and turning a small control of some sort or "tweaking" software, which I am pretty sure that most, if not all, of Sky's on the road "engineers" are not capable of.

BurnIT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01827
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

It may actually depend on how new the equipment is and how recently it was installed.
      If it was new and was using the 5Ghz band then what is shown could be possible by just switching back to the older 2.4ghz band which does have greater range and penetration.