Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Like Tree2Likes
    • 2 Post By Isitme

Sky internet is atrociously bad and they lie about speeds!

This is a discussion on Sky internet is atrociously bad and they lie about speeds! within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; So after trying to a speed test and having it fail becuase of how slow my internet was, I waited ...

connormackayhates_sky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

So after trying to a speed test and having it fail becuase of how slow my internet was, I waited a while.

I went through a few sources, the general one on google, fast.com and then finally I tried the statistics sky provided and the results shocked me. Not only do sky lie about the speed of your internet, but they provide shockingly slow internet at the same time.

The google speed test and the fast.com one matches exactly the experience I am having with the internet quite often, just above or below 1mbps. But the statistics sky have given say that I am getting 36mbps, which for starters is impossible with the plan I have and also is clearly wrong when videos were taking ages to load.

Blatantly lying to customers to make it look like they provide good internet whe n the complete opposite is true. And don't try to say it's a mistake, becuase you don't make a mistake like that.

I want to know why my internet speed would be so low and why Sky are lying about internet speeds.

2. Advertisement
      FelixTCat is online now Sky User Member
      Exchange: Tilehurst
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity 2
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Re: Sky internet is atrociously bad and they lie about speeds!

Have you measured your internet speed at the master socket?

tenar is online now Sky User Member
      Exchange: Newcastle NINE
      Broadband ISP: sky fibre max
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: none
      Thanks

post your router stats from 192.168.0.1 login admin password sky click on maintenance then click on show statics links will give your line speeds and noise levels

System Up Time: 616:26:57
      Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collision Pkts Tx b/s Rx b/s Up Time
      WAN MER 106360177 195075185 0 17428 631992 504:58:33
      LAN Up 101955611 55251562 514 1240083 39136 616:26:57
      WLAN (2.4 GHz) Up 9497370 2027832 0 508 0 616:25:35
      WLAN (5 GHz) Up 5087355 804270 0 0 0 616:25:32
      PLC Disable 0 0 0 0 0 00:00:00
      Broadband Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 79999 kbps 19999 kbps
      Line Attenuation 7.4 dB 0.0 dB
      Noise Margin 14.8 dB 15.15 dB

pete.i is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01757
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Freesat/etc
      Thanks

The real point with this is that most people are not savvy enough to work out for themselves why their internet is slow. This forum does a brilliant job of helping people out but it is Sky. or other internet service providers, that we are paying our hard earned to. It should be down to them to sort out problems that we have with our internet connections. It isn't cheap to have internet connectivity and when it doesn't work it is extremely frustrating to have someone just test the line and say the line is okay. I am, relatively, technologically savvy and when I go to a house I always connect up to the test socket if it is available. I KNOW that if a connection is bad then it is either the line in or the equipment. I generally take my own router that I also KNOW is good and to have someone reading from a script telling me there is nothing wrong is extremely bad customer service. Even if it is down to me the customer is paying a huge monthly ongoing fee for internet access. the providers should be doing a hell of a lot more to keep customers happy and they should be doing a hell of a lot a lot more cheaply or even, in my opinion, for free.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,649 Times in 1,610 Posts

I want to know why my internet speed would be so low and why Sky are lying about internet speeds.
      If you are not getting the speed you were told, under the terms and conditions you can leave, foc. Note that Sky do not guarantee wireless speed only the sync speed at the router.

Please do as previously requested and post your router stats. Members may be then able to offer advice.

Please also note that this is a Help forum, not a place you can vent your annoyance at Sky.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

pete.i is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01757
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Freesat/etc
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      If you are not getting the speed you were told, under the terms and conditions you can leave, foc. Note that Sky do not guarantee wireless speed only the sync speed at the router.

Please do as previously requested and post your router stats. Members may be then able to offer advice.

Please also note that this is a Help forum, not a place you can vent your annoyance at Sky.
      Good grief like as if you have never derided Sky in the past. Talk about kettle and black etc etc.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,649 Times in 1,610 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pete.i View Post
      Good grief like as if you have never derided Sky in the past. Talk about kettle and black etc etc.
      I may have criticised some aspects of Sky in the past but I have never stated

or anything like it.

This not correct! If Sky were 'atrociously bad' they would have no users, everyone would have left. As for lying about speeds, Sky give an estimate of the speed you can expect at the router. 999 times out of 1000 the speed you get falls within their low/high estimate, very often higher. If it doesn't, you are free to leave.
      bubblegun and scobo like this.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.