Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sky Q Router and Voip Phone Query

This is a discussion on Sky Q Router and Voip Phone Query within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi Everyone, I was just wondering if someone could shed some light on something regarding the Sky Q router. I ...

BunkerBogeyMan is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Greater Manchester
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER115
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Sky Q Router and Voip Phone Query

Hi Everyone,

I was just wondering if someone could shed some light on something regarding the Sky Q router.

I recently (with lots of help in another post) managed to get a Netgear router working on my Sky Fibre connection. The reason being that the Q router supplied wouldn't work with my VOIP Ayaya phone.

Having now proved that the issue is the router as the Netgear one linked to BT Openreach modem works fine, I'm wondering if anyone could possibly shed any light on a setting which could be stopping this from working with the sky router?

You may wonder why I'm asking this as I now have my phone working on the Netgear router!
      The reason being is that a work colleague of mine who is also on Sky fibre is having the exact same issue on their phone. All other remote workers who use BT or Zen internet are working fine.

Before I recommend that they purchase themselves another router, I thought I would throw it out there and see if anyone had any ideas?

Maybe the sky router has some ports closed that other routers don't? Or maybe something else?
      A bit of a long shot but worth a shot I thought!!

Thanks in advance!

2. Advertisement
      lettice is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0.4 mile away
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: ER110UK Sky Q hub
      Sky TV: SkyQ2tb + minis
      Thanks

Re: Sky Q Router and Voip Phone Query

Do you know what ports this has to use?
      Is there any documentation for setup of this on the web anywhere, so it can give us some sort of idea?
      I looked for it Myself, but there are many products with that description.

If I remember from past use, you can try adding UDP service for port 5060
      That is the generic Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) port that internet telephony services uses.
      Last edited by lettice; 29-01-18 at 04:09 PM.

BunkerBogeyMan is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Greater Manchester
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER115
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Hi, Thanks for the reply.

I've emailed our phone support company to ask about ports but not heard back yet. I will post back when I hear.
      I think these things are configurable per phone system as there is a phone server in our office which has various settings.
      So I'm not sure there is a manual to give exact details of the setup.

I guess my question was more to see if anyone had come across this before and might have an idea what the issue is with the sky router as none of the other routers have the issue.
      Our IT technician thinks the router may do some kind of traffic shaping to push the data one way or another but it's a bit above my head.
      If it is a ports issue, the port must be automatically closed on the sky router but never closed on any other router. That seems a little odd but I don't have a clue at this point.
      Maybe there's a way to check on the sky router if any ports are closed? I only know how to explicitly open a port but not check which ones are closed by default.
      I did also try turning the firewall off completely and it made no difference on the IP phone. However, I'm not sure if this does completely turn it off or not.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,642 Times in 1,603 Posts

One way to check if it is the firewall would be to put its IP address in the DMZ of the router. This by-passes the firewall. Also remember to allow it on your software firewall.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.