Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Why is my upload speed so poor?

This is a discussion on Why is my upload speed so poor? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; After great support from various people on this site and various (not so great)conversations/emails with Sky Representatives I have eventually ...

Muppet13 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Leigh on Sea
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Why is my upload speed so poor?

After great support from various people on this site and various (not so great)conversations/emails with Sky Representatives I have eventually arrived at a download speed that I am happy with (see below). Not fantastic (definitely not all that I expected with the Max package) but OK.

Happily, sky met me halfway and have agreed to revise my package to the Mid package (one which better reflects my download speeds) and I have even managed to secure a 10 refund (and the free installation) as part of the deal. I believe they capped my line also to resolve line errors?!? (again baffling - they said my line was capped to 6400kbps!?! see below).

Trouble is I get see myself getting on to Murdoch's friends again! This time over my upload speed which I believe is not what it should be (am I right?). Is there anything I can do to resolve this?

Speed test (broadbandmax.co.ik)
      Down 6327 kbps
      Up 289 kbps

Router stats
      Down speed 7616kbps
      Attenuation 36.0db
      Noise margin 7.5 db

Up speed 416 kbps
      Attenuation 23.5db
      Noise margin 14.0db

2. Advertisement
      Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Actually Muppet13 they've put you on Sky Mid with your agreement. Sky Mid has an upload speed of 416kbps which is what you've got.

Speeds as reported by speedtest sites will not match your router connection speeds due to transmission overheads etc.

You now have what looks like a well performing Sky Mid connection. If you want higher upload speeds then you will have to ask to be moved back to Max.

Muppet13 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Leigh on Sea
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Aha! That explains it. Many thanks