Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 8 of 26 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Tier 3 information

This is a discussion on Tier 3 information within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; so u want sky to do away with Tier 1 then? just have Tier 3? if thats the case, u ...

tittybiscuits is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: dunfermline
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      so u want sky to do away with Tier 1 then? just have Tier 3? if thats the case, u think u dont get thru to Tier 3 at the moment, u have hee haw chance on a call answered at Tier 3.

did u expect a newproduct to go through with not a single prob?

on these websites u only hear about ppls problems, not the tens of thousands of ppl who have not had a single problem

2. Advertisement
      Cyrus is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Streetly - CMSTRE
      Broadband ISP: Max, 15.3MB Downstream! B E A Utiful
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Guy's let’s knock this one on the head.

Sky people, don't take offence, as with all large organisations there are some really good people who work in a variety of different departments, in addition there are also some inexperienced, new, etc staff that through not fault of their own don't have a clue. This is often a training issue. Often a general blanket perception has the implications of globally branding a department or office as not as switched on as other area's of the business. If we are honest, and think about this carefully, this simply cannot be the case.

Seriously, your help and comments are appreciated. Some of the thoughts in this post do not reflect the opinions of everyone.
      "If you are planning for a year, sow rice;
      if you are planning for a decade, plant trees;
      if you are planning for a lifetime, educate people."

leffe is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by spike7451 View Post
      @Leffe,
      If Tier 3 are the only ones that know what they are talking about,why do people like me risk our jobs to help out on here ?
      Spike7451,

Sorry if I offended you. I did not mean to cause friction with my post. Sorry if I came across that way.

I appreciate all the help & advice that yourselves and others have given us.

I have not ever been put through to Tier 2, & to be quite honest, I don't understand the structure at Sky. All I know (from my own experience & other members of my family & friends that I recommended), is that the problems that we have ALL experienced, could not be dealt with by Tier 1.

In fact Tier1 did not understand the problems, as was noticed by the advice and information given to everyone that I recommended.

We have all had problems with our original activation dates being missed by weeks, all have tracked our orders on the BT site and have been able to tell Tier 1 more about our line status than they can tell us.
      We have all contacted BT wholesale who repeatedly say that our problems could be solved by one simple phone call from Sky's Provisioning department, & we all have had tie-pair issues on the exchange.

Once activated, we've all had speed issues, and have spoken with Tier 3 personnel. Only at that point, have we all felt that we've spoken to someone that understands, and explains the nature of the beast, and to be quite honest, gives reassurance of the service.

I fully understand that there needs to be some kind of mechanism in place to deal with the number of call that Sky receive, & that everyone cannot speak directly to Tier 3, or even need to speak to Tier 3.
      But I do expect a better level of service when I fully explain my problem, explain the troubleshooting steps that I have already been through, to ascertain that I have a problem related to my router & not my PC.

It would have been great if I had got you on the phone, because I would have felt assured that the person on the phone, knew what they were talking about.

This is not the first Broadband service I have had, or the first ISP that I have beeen with, so I think I can make a comparison about the level of service that I have received over the telephone.

There were a lot of lessons to be learnt from the Bulldog & Carphone Warehouse fiascos, and I'm not sure that Sky learnt from their mistakes.

Again, thanks to all who give advice in their spare time, & I hope I have made myself clear. There will probably now be a post from someone on Tier 1, saying that I have offended them.

spike7451 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Donaghadee
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      No problem Leffe,
      Unlike Tier 1 ,who have to follow what is called KMS,us in T2 have a degree of 'flexibility' & are allowed to use our loaf.A lot of Tier 1's dont have PC or fault finding skills prior to coming to work for Sky.I myself was a field engineer for years before starting in Tier 1 & now 2.
      A lot of us take 'ownership' of some of the more serious faults we come across & we try to call the punter back with updates every now & then.A fair percentage of the ones that come to us are simple things missed by Tier 1,Extensions,Proxy settings ect & one of the biggest pains are tickets with no notes in them.They simply get closed on the basis that we have enough work of our own without Tier 1's as well!

Jackson_50 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

RE:

Leffe

I was polite to the person on Tier 1, but he was about as useful as an ashtray on a motorbike!
      Never heard that one before. Almost choked when i read that .
      Your very right in what you say, and this is beginning to become a BIG problem. But unfortunately, Sky are failing to recognise this.

Granted, alot of the new recruits in Tier1 have not got the slightest idea about technical issues. But, the BIGGEST problem in my opinion is the KMS helpdesk system which they are FORCED to use.

None of the other departments even look at it (altho they are supposed to). Because most people in the other departments (who previously worked for easynet) know it is absolute rubbish. And even after being flooded with request from all the higest technical levels to have it changed, they have still failed to improve it.

There is a difference between teething process's in working out systems (which should be the first 3 months). But after such time, (which we are now into) its nothing short of ignorance.

Trust me. If they changed that appauling system.
      Everyones fault would be fixed in a decent time scale.
      Support tickets would go to the dept that can actually do something about it.
      Tier2 could actually start interfacing properly with BT (instead of doing T1's job for them and trying to work with BT).
      Tier3 wouldnt be so swamped with work (that should be solved at the Tier1 level, BUT KMS advises it must go to Tier3).
      All in all i think everyone would much happier.

Hope i didnt go too off topic. But i hope it gives some people the explanation they have been looking for.
      Last edited by Jackson_50; 29-11-06 at 09:08 PM.

spike7451 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Donaghadee
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      I'm afraid to say that Jackson50 has hit the nail on the head 100%.Tier 1 are indeed forced to use this KMS system & if they deviate from it & are quality checked,they'll be marked down.
      We've pointed out glaring mistakes in it repeatedly but,to date,theyre still there.
      Often,a ticket for Tier 3 will be put into the wrong queue & stay there until it's noticed or the punter calls in.
      For example,the amount of Tier 1 tickets for no connection that turn out to be extension leads or other basic stuff is mindboggling.If the was a better system in place,well,it's as Jackson said....

paul01 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

ticket Number 141937

Anyone out there at sky Tier 3 , its now three weeks is anyone interested in my case.

Just about had enough lost all confidence in advice ?

Won't Be Named is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: London
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Just to confirm that Tier 3 will no longer be availble after 11pm at night, so all of you night time people trying to ring through the early hours of the morning will no longer be able to be put through.

skalpel is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Just to put the T1 v T2 v T3 thing into context - from my own experience doing support at (much smaller, business/corporate ISPs) there probably aren't enough people in the country with the relevant technical expertise to make it so that every single call is answered by someone who can fix your problem there and then. Even if they were, they'd last about two shifts of telling people the difference between their right and left mouse button (yes, I've even had to tell supposed corporate people this) before they went and took another job.

A *good* TSE (and by good I mean by the standards I used to set for my teams) costs about 25k a year (including salary, supporting infrastructure, etc), and basically can only be kept hold of with constant pay rises and/or more and more time off the phone on other projects - in my 5 years in support my salary doubled and my average calls per day went down from 50 to 5, and I *still* left for more money and more interesting work.

It's a simple but unfortunate fact that 99% of problems *can* be fixed with a reboot of either router, PC, or both, or other very very simple troubleshooting. Having guys capable of diagnosing and fixing esoteric problems anywhere in the OSI layer answering those calls would be a gigantic waste of money and talent. Every company recognises that, and only the very tiniest ISPs can get away with having that sort of talent on the front lines. Any large (over 20,000 users) ISP has to have some form of pre-screening or the tech support team will cost more than the rest of the company combined - one of my former employers could only offer that kind of service by charging 15 pounds a month *plus* 0845 dialup charges (or 50 quid a month for a 1M DSL line) - oh, and still had an 0845 number for tech support.

As frustrating as it is for more technical users to have to deal with this kind of call centre, I'm afraid that the only alternative is to pay, and pay a lot, for the kind of support you're after.

emanresu is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01375
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Tier 3 information

Hi everyone,
      This is a great site and v.interesting thread, which I found whilst googling for some help.

Have been helping my M-I-L with her Sky broadband connection since last August. She now has working broadband..hooray! [...and that was a long story, starting with the "wrong postcode" at the exchange]

Still problem with the portal though.

I'm sure the password is correct (get different error if wrong password used) but it never actually makes it into the site. Instead it gives this error message:
      "You do not have the required permissions to access this service".

To me, this sounds like Sky have to tick a box somewhere or make some setting to give the required permissions.

No one that my MIL has spoken to at Sky seems to understand, though, and she is still "awaiting a call". She hasn't even been given a ticket number, but having read this and other threads we now know to ask for one!

Read on another thread about synch-ing sky.com password with the portal. Noticed could log on to sky.com with bb password sent in last letter. Changed password and tried logging on to bb portal again, but get same message (i.e. it has accepted the password, but still have same permissions problem).

Can anyone advise how to phrase it so that Tier1 understands?

Many thanks...

Page 8 of 26 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

LinkBacks (?)